Texas Fishing Forum

In Tank Fuel Pump

Posted By: V-Bottom

In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/14/19 10:38 PM

For those of you that have had to go thru the ordeal of replacing this unit....I have a question or two. The unit itself is 2 components, the fuel pump itself and the sending unit assy.. These pieces are sold separately or you can buy the whole assy. Has anyone here replaced the pump only to save a bunch of money?
Posted By: Cast

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/14/19 10:57 PM

Those pumps are cheap now. Definately get the complete unit as the sender fails before the pump. Also, find a way to pull the bed. And clean the tank while you’re there.

Assuming this is a pickup.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 12:22 AM

What is it on?

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
What is it on?

I apologize for not saying that the tank I'm referring to is on a F 150 04'. I can't pull the side off from the bed bc it has a sprayed in bed liner. Tank will have to be dropped. I plan to get the tank cleaned out too.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 03:35 PM

The 90s Chevys were bad about burning up the wires on the sending unit. I replaced the sending unit and pump twice on my 96. It was way easier to just pull the bed than drop the tank. Four bolts and unclip a couple wires and you had easy access.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
What is it on?

I apologize for not saying that the tank I'm referring to is on a F 150 04'. I can't pull the side off from the bed bc it has a sprayed in bed liner. Tank will have to be dropped. I plan to get the tank cleaned out too.

Explain please. Why can’t you remove the bed? I’ve replaced three pumps on my ‘99 GMC and pulled the bed each time. It’s got a spray on bed liner too.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
What is it on?

Explain please. Why can’t you remove the bed? I’ve replaced three pumps on my ‘99 GMC and pulled the bed each time. It’s got a spray on bed liner too.

I'd have to look further about pulling the bed. Where it's attached and how it's attached I couldn't tell ya. Seems to me the thick bed liner covered the bolts etc.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 06:46 PM

You pull the tailgate (and toolbox if equipped) and strap corner to corner forming an X. You hook up to the center of the X. Then there’s 4 bolts underneath. Disconnect the wiring harness and get the FEL.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/15/19 08:55 PM

And in the future change the fuel filter if so equipped and don't run the tank low.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 06:27 PM

I would definitely replace the whole unit. Some just disconnect the filler hose and lift the bed up on one side. pull the bolts on the drivers side and (I believe) you just loosen the bolts on the passenger side. If doing yourself then watch some YouTube videos.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 07:09 PM

Mine was replaced 6 or 7 years ago. I just hope I don't have to pay to have another one installed.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 07:50 PM

Right now, all of the bolts in the bed are covered with 1/4" of sprayed in bed liner!!

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 09:06 PM

Might make it easier. All you have to do is remove the nuts underneath.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 09:41 PM

Right now, all of the bolts in the bed are covered with 1/4" of sprayed in bed liner!!

That’ll make it easier as they stay with the bed. You just get the nuts from underneath and disconnect the wiring harness and lift.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 09:44 PM

Might make it easier. All you have to do is remove the nuts underneath.

probably has a clip, not a nut. what he will have to do is take a box cutter and cut all the way around the bolt head real clean like. as close to the edge of the bolt head as possible and remove the bedliner from the bolthead to pull the bed

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 09:59 PM

My ‘99 GMC has nuts. I’ve seem them three times.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 01/18/19 10:35 PM

The bolts are on the bottom, not on top of the bed! I believe their are 6 or 8 bolts! A bedliner has nothing to do with taking the bolts out unless you sprayed underneath the truck... Unplug the big light connector on the left rear, remove bolts from underneath and if you want to do it by yourself, jack the driver side of the bed up and stick some blocks between the bed and frame and you can access the top of the fuel tank!

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/06/19 08:07 PM

Nuts are underneath. Sure do thank you for the info. My next question is this.I have been looking on Ebay for the complete assy. I see the metal assy's and I see the sending unit assy on some that are POLY/Plastic. Anyone tried the poly ones. There is a lot of difference between $60 for the poly one and $250 plus for the complete metal assy.

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/07/19 03:08 AM

just curious, are you saying you bent the clip away from the nut that is inserted in the clip? what engine do you have?

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/07/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by spankyttx
just curious, are you saying you bent the clip away from the nut that is inserted in the clip? what engine do you have?

Haven't touched anything yet..

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/07/19 08:02 PM

i gotcha, what engine do you have?
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/07/19 11:05 PM

I think most are plastic housings... Never seen an issue with plastic! You might look at Rockauto. I buy quite a bit from them. Same part numbers, but cheaper priced! I would'nt be afraid of poly!

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/08/19 12:26 AM

4.6L

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/08/19 12:27 AM

4.6L

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/09/19 06:21 PM

i'm thinking the 4.6 will all be a metal supported pump assy but wouldn't be surprised if there was one with a plastic support. i would want metal though. i saw them (metal supported) on amazon from 60 bucks to partsgeek at 90, so i'm sure you can find one in that range from mail order like am auto, rockauto etc. the one thing you will need to make sure is it either comes with a new sock (pump filter on the bottom of the pump) or purchase a new one. you really don't want to use the old sock
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump - 02/13/19 11:04 PM

An old Datsun pick up had a door in the bed above the wiring and access to the tank, fuel pump .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum