Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer Hub Bearings

Posted By: Fishbonz

Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/05/18 02:26 PM

I`m in the process of replacing the bearings on my boat trailer and want to replace the existing ones with the "Bearing Buddy" only I don`t know what size I need. The Trailer is a single axle design for a 18 ft Ranger Ranger Bass Boat.Can any one HELP me on the size needed?Thanks in advance.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/05/18 02:31 PM

I would call ranger or the manufactuer of the bearing buddy you want to use.

It would help also to measure the inside diameter of the hub as closely as you can before calling.

Also you can take the hub off bearings seals and all and take it with you to a local trailer supply place and they will make sure you get the correct berings/races/seals/and dust cover or bearing buddy.

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/05/18 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I would call ranger or the manufactuer of the bearing buddy you want to use.

It would help also to measure the inside diameter of the hub as closely as you can before calling.

Also you can take the hub off bearings seals and all and take it with you to a local trailer supply place and they will make sure you get the correct berings/races/seals/and dust cover or bearing buddy.
Thank you sir! I wasn`t quite sure anyone would respond to something so small with soo many more pressing issues out there but I took a chance anyway. Again I thank you!
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/06/18 02:39 PM

You most likely need a 1.781 Bearing Buddy.
Posted By: ClarkBird

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/06/18 02:52 PM

Just realize, adding a Bearing Buddy does not replace any of the hub bearings. The Buddy is a just an easy way to add grease. You'll need to pull the hub to access the actual bearings as well as the seal on the back side to get to the inner bearing.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/06/18 04:38 PM

Yes and while a bearing budy is an easy way to add grease... you only need to add grease if your loosing some, if your loosing so me you have a problem, likely a blown seal. Adding too much grease through the bearing buddy will blow out your seal. In short, use with caution and you shouldn't add grease every time you use it.

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/06/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ClarkBird
Just realize, adding a Bearing Buddy does not replace any of the hub bearings. The Buddy is a just an easy way to add grease. You'll need to pull the hub to access the actual bearings as well as the seal on the back side to get to the inner bearing.
YES SIR ! You are absolutely correct. I didn`t mean to emply that the BB`s would replace the bearings all together. I only meant the Bearing Buddies would be used in conjunction with the new replacement bearings.I`m aware & thanks for the HU thumb
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/06/18 11:36 PM

I would take the bearings and races off first and measure them. Then go find some Timken bearings of that size.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/10/18 12:48 PM

If you have a Ranger boat trailer, get the serial number off of it, call Ranger and order you a new complete hub assembly, while your at it, order a spare for just in case, they are really reasonably priced.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Trailer Hub Bearings - 04/12/18 06:21 PM

What is the trailer manufacturer? Usually you can get part description and part #s from them. That is how I order all my parts for my EZ Loader trailer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum