Texas Fishing Forum

transmission service

Posted By: dimitri

transmission service - 03/16/18 01:28 PM

do you guys recommend i take my 2009 ram to a transmission shop and have it hooked up to their diagnostic computer just to have the fluid and filters changed? guy said something about also checking the hydraulics. i have always just removed the pan and changed the filter, then topped off the fluid. there are no known issues at this time that i’m aware of. truck has 156k.

thx in advance
Posted By: redchevy

Re: transmission service - 03/16/18 09:04 PM

Have you ever serviced the transmission before?

156k is a bit long to let it go before the first service. I personally just drop the pan change filter and fill it back up.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: transmission service - 03/17/18 09:36 AM

all i’ve ever done is dropped pan , changed filters and refilled whatever fluid was lost. was just wondering if it’s best to have a computer diagnostic even though everything appears fine?

Re: transmission service - 03/17/18 10:29 PM

Drop pan change filter and fill fluid is great I wouldn’t do anything else.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: transmission service - 03/17/18 10:29 PM

On the subject, I have a '98 1500 Ram , occasionally when I put it in drive and start moving the rpm's will go high and it seems as though the trans has not changed from the low gear, I will tap the gas pedal and the rpm's drop back to normal and it feels like it has gone into the correct drive gear.

Re: transmission service - 03/18/18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Trebor Neil
On the subject, I have a '98 1500 Ram , occasionally when I put it in drive and start moving the rpm's will go high and it seems as though the trans has not changed from the low gear, I will tap the gas pedal and the rpm's drop back to normal and it feels like it has gone into the correct drive gear.

I think the older dodge transmissions the torque converter would drain if you weren’t driving so may be the delay before the torque converter fills up again.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: transmission service - 03/21/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Drop pan change filter and fill fluid is great I wouldn’t do anything else.
+1 but Toyotas have a drain plug on the pan so no real need to drop it although some do. When I owned Fords I dropped and replaced fluid or cleaned the screen if needed every 30K. I still own one Ford but it has a drain plug.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum