Texas Fishing Forum

I don't understand kids...

Posted By: Samsonsworld

I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 02:11 AM

Been looking for my son a vehicle. Came across this and absolutely loved it. He shot me down???? Is it generational? I grew up with the Fall Guy and Big Foot.

f250
Posted By: Tommar

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 02:46 AM

That’s ok, Dad. I’ll take it.

bolt
Posted By: Chris B

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 01:14 PM

Smart kid. Why in the heck would he need a jacked up F250?

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 01:14 PM

LOL! I'd trade him but he's a poster child...most of the time.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

His issue wasn't that it was a jacked up F250. Yes, we're a little redneck. It's because he can't be seen in a truck with only two doors. Which I find a little funny. The first car I bought for my daughter, she complained because it was 4 door and not 2. hammer

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 01:55 PM

Famous trucks I dreamed about as a kid:

Posted By: redchevy

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 02:24 PM

I'm probably a bit redneck, but think it has little to do with what you drive.

If my folks would have wanted to give me that I would have said can I have the 30k and get what I want and keep the rest?

I would have hated trying to put gas in that thing when I was in college!!!!!!!!!!! I never had a single cab, but my brother did, in our experience we would never buy a single cab again. No room for stuff no room for people. I'd say you got a smart kid.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 02:30 PM

I liked my '84 Chevy single cab. I never had a back seat in high school. I do remember borrowing my parent's car for double dates, though.
Posted By: TXMako2201

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 04:12 PM

I'm a teacher and I immediately figured it was the regular cab long bed that turned him off. I'd have been doing back flips if my dad offered me that for my first truck! Mine was a '95 nissan pickup 4-banger regular cab, 2wd. I made do. Even upgraded to the same in 4wd when I totaled the first one in college!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/02/18 06:21 PM

Agree , probably the single cab and big gasser.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/03/18 02:48 AM

I think your kid is obviously spoiled.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/03/18 10:29 PM

Yea when I was in high school my buddy had a 1978 F-250 Highboy, man I always wanted one.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/03/18 11:55 PM

I'd still like one of those trucks for sunny Sundays.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/04/18 01:14 AM

That black one is sharp!
Posted By: glenls

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/04/18 02:18 PM

Sounds like a Smart Car or Prius kinda kid. I would have mowed the yard and fed the dog forever for those kind of wheels as a kid.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/04/18 03:28 PM

My 1st car was a nissan 510 hatchback, the driver seat was worn out, so had to replace it with the passenger seat. I loved it, because it gave me FREEDOM!!!!

No offense, but your son seems a bit entitled. Make him get a job and buy a [censored] car. He will love it and treat it better then anything you give to him on a silver platter.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/05/18 02:07 PM

I think times are different. My bro-in-law bought a fixer upper for his step kid. Thought it would be a good way to spend time. That boy never did drive that truck. Walked or hitched a ride instead, all the way through graduation.

His job is school and sports. If he quits sports, he gets a job. That's our deal. Until then, I foot the bill.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/06/18 10:27 AM

I would have thought that was pretty awesome when I was 16.

I had regular cab trucks til I got my dad's old truck as a senior in college, which was an extended cab work truck Silverado. Didn't have a crew cab til I bought my own several years later. As an adult, I need the extra space. As a kid, it was nice to only have 2 seats so I didn't have to be chauffer when 4 or 5 kids all wanted to go somewhere. I threw my baseball gear in the bed and drove my regular cab S-10 all over the state and loved it, and it cost less than a third of what that one does.

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
I think times are different. My bro-in-law bought a fixer upper for his step kid. Thought it would be a good way to spend time. That boy never did drive that truck. Walked or hitched a ride instead, all the way through graduation.
That's a freaking sad story man...dad trying to do something nice with his kid and the kid doesn't even spare the time to be a part of it...
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/06/18 02:54 PM

His job is school and sports. If he quits sports, he gets a job. That's our deal. Until then, I foot the bill.

Well then you better hop to it and get that 4 door truck with no lift, better ask what color, interior and sound system he wants as well. God knows he should never suffer the disappointment of a free truck that isn't exactly what he wants. eeks

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/06/18 03:39 PM

White, gray, maroon or black. Gray or black ineterior. And I've already been looking at that too! I'm thinking Kenwood deck with navigation, PPI amps, MBQuart Z-series components and dual 10" subs. Everything a growing boy needs. grin
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/06/18 06:27 PM

The kid ought to be grateful just to get a vehicle. I had to drive the family vehicle until I was a senior in college. Fortunately I was the oldest so I did not have to compete with siblings for a while. By the time I did my dad bought a car for the kids to share. My first car was a Mercury Capri that I paid cash for myself.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/07/18 10:26 AM

Side note - If my son "shot me down" on a vehicle I was trying to buy him, I'd let him walk around until he was begging me for anything with 4 wheels and a gas tank.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/07/18 01:14 PM

I told him he could have a Honda Fit. It has 4 doors.
Posted By: riverrat88

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/07/18 05:22 PM

Don't feel bad, back in 2004 right before I got married, my soon to be wife's daughter total her used 1996 Saturn SC-1 (it were a very nice clean car, taking care of by the previous owner). For her graduation (2004), I offer to buy her a new 2004 Saturn Ion, but she didn't want a 4 door car. Her mother end up buying her a very used 1996 Oldmobile Cutlass. In like 2014, my step daughter told me she should have taking my offer.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/07/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: riverrat88

Don't feel bad, back in 2004 right before I got married, my soon to be wife's daughter total her used 1996 Saturn SC-1 (it were a very nice clean car, taking care of by the previous owner). For her graduation (2004), I offer to buy her a new 2004 Saturn Ion, but she didn't want a 4 door car. Her mother end up buying her a very used 1996 Oldmobile Cutlass. In like 2014, my step daughter told me she should have taking my offer.
from what I have heard from Saturn owners that I have known she was better off with the Olds
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/08/18 08:38 PM

My first car was a 1977 Ford Fairmont 2dr that was handed down to my mom, then me. I beat the living hell out of that car, replaced the motor when I burned it up and beat on it some more. When I tore it up beyond repair, next was a '78 caprice classic. When I tore that up I had to start buying my own, and I learned to take care of stuff shortly there after.

As for kids ragging on prospective vehicles, I agree with the view that they might be feeling a bit entitled. My kid, as of right now, will have the choice of my '71 C10 pickup (decent but old truck), or the Jeep Cherokee I'm getting ready to redneck out. If she doesn't like either of those, she can walk or hitch rides. I certainly will not be paying $30k for a vehicle for her, ever. But as soon as mine starts driving, she'll have some kind of job or she won't have money to buy gas or insurance.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/15/18 09:26 PM

Well, adding another ecoboost to the stable, 2017 2.7L extended cab 2wd this time. Supposed to pick it up Saturday.

Posted By: fray

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/17/18 02:35 PM

cool

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/18/18 02:09 AM

400 miles, 75mph except through towns... 22.6 mpg
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/18/18 06:22 PM

That is easily 10mpg BETTER than my 2016 Tundra 5.7L 4x4.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/18/18 06:42 PM

10mpg better than my 2017 6.2l, too. Never got better than 18mpg in my 2013 3.5l at interstate speeds. 2wd, aluminum and small cab definitely helps.

And I tell you, at a very light 4500 lbs and .373 axle, this thing is pretty dang fast!

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/19/18 02:40 AM

First of all, it's a very nice truck.

Not trying to be rude and this statement is more in general than directed at this situation, but it's no wonder our kids don't understand the value of a dollar...

One thing I will not ever do is spoil them vehicle-wise. It's hard to ever go backwards in quality/features, and I truly believe getting them something $20k+ when they're 16-20 years old is setting them up for them spending $30k+ in 5 years when there is no way that's the smart financial decision. I've seen too many of my buddies who drove nice cars in college and have been strapped with a car payment their whole lives trying to buy something nicer than what they had. I just now bought my first "nice" truck at age 32. I had driven my old 2004 Silverado up until 2016, and I paid $13k used for it in 2008. Had old work truck model Silverados with the v6 before that. None of them cost more than $8k and none of them ever gave me a lick of trouble. Started driving with a work truck S-10 with roll-up windows and manual everything. Couldn't have been happier to have it.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/19/18 03:09 AM

For most kids I'd probably agree. But this one isn't most kids. And our situation is a little uncommon.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/20/18 12:57 PM

For most kids I'd probably agree. But this one isn't most kids. And our situation is a little uncommon.
Cool man. Not trying to kill your buzz. Some kids deserve it. I just know of a bunch who don't.

It is a nice ride. And I've heard of people getting some awesome mpg with that 4cyl eco. He should be able to drive that for a long time.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/20/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

That is easily 10mpg BETTER than my 2016 Tundra 5.7L 4x4.
only 4.8 better than what I have recorded over last 2 days with warmer weather. Either you drive with a heavy or foot or have some mods that are dropping it. I have BFG load Ds and 2" lift via Bilstein 6112s on the front.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/20/18 09:23 PM

I average 29-30mpg on my commute in a tuned ecodiesel grin

Sounds like a nice ride. My kids wont be getting something like that from me.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/20/18 09:28 PM

Only 27% better. wink

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/20/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I average 29-30mpg on my commute in a tuned ecodiesel grin

Sounds like a nice ride. My kids wont be getting something like that from me.

I think those are out of my price range anyway but I just can't.....but I do wish you many years of reliable service.

And for the record, my kid shot down a Tundra I was interested in, too. It was a nice truck. Weirdo picked the cheapest and most economical vehicle I showed him. loco_2

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/22/18 06:24 PM

Only 27% better. wink
it will be 100% better with the rear wheels off the ground behind the tow truck

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/22/18 06:51 PM

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
- Ford Ecoboost
Posted By: fordnut

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/23/18 04:52 PM

What with the Hate? I've had a displeasure of owning two GM trucks and all I feel or announce is indifference. I wont buy one again myself but don't run someone else down for "Their" choice. Out

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/23/18 11:55 PM

It's all good. We've all been trading jabs for a long time. It's all friendly.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/24/18 12:37 AM

No big deal it just a pet peave I have about constant negativity. It’s just getting old. I’m good hope your young man enjoys it and gets good service from it.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 02/24/18 12:44 AM

Thank you sir!
Posted By: C130

Re: I don't understand kids... - 03/20/18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

Why not, bought my son a jacked up F250. Deleted, straight pipe, lifted, train horns, full redneck. Fits right in at Magnolia HS.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/11/18 04:34 PM

I'm thinking Kenwood deck with navigation, PPI amps, MBQuart Z-series components and dual 10" subs. Everything a growing boy needs. grin

Well I wasn't too far off. Stuck with the factory stereo. Added a LC2i LOC, 2 MB Quart Z-series Amps, pioneer 6x9 components in the front (left rear stock for now), fox acoustics 'fox box' and 2 10" Rockford P3's that kick like a couple of mules. Need to tie up some loose ends but sounds pretty dang good.

Just need to add a leveling kit and I'll be through...until it needs tires.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/11/18 11:01 PM

So I ordered a mono amp for the subs. The company sent me a 5 channel amp. Amazon says to keep and it's currently running the subs. Reordered the mono amp. A train derailment caused a week delay, got my package in....and it's another 5 channel amp. Amazon says to keep with full refund. Now I like free electronics as good as the next guy, but this is getting ridiculous. crazy

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/12/18 05:07 PM

I'm thinking Kenwood deck with navigation, PPI amps, MBQuart Z-series components and dual 10" subs. Everything a growing boy needs. grin

Well I wasn't too far off. Stuck with the factory stereo. Added a LC2i LOC, 2 MB Quart Z-series Amps, pioneer 6x9 components in the front (left rear stock for now), fox acoustics 'fox box' and 2 10" Rockford P3's that kick like a couple of mules. Need to tie up some loose ends but sounds pretty dang good.

Just need to add a leveling kit and I'll be through...until it needs tires.
you sure he doesn't want a Bro Lean? Make sure you add an alignment after the kit otherwise he will need tires a whole lot sooner.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/12/18 06:10 PM

I've been reading a lot about a 2" kit and supposedly it doesn't need an adjustment. IDK. Guess I'll learn the hard way.

No bro-lean. Funny thing, I had to look that up. Thought it was like a low-rider sideways stance or something. lol!

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/12/18 08:07 PM

I've been reading a lot about a 2" kit and supposedly it doesn't need an adjustment. IDK. Guess I'll learn the hard way.

No bro-lean. Funny thing, I had to look that up. Thought it was like a low-rider sideways stance or something. lol!

Lol no you gotta get a RAM to get that kind of lean, with the fuel tank and def tank both on the same side and the coil springs (sorry excuse for a rear truck suspension) the truck sits over an inch lower on the driver side than the passenger side, when parked on level ground like a driveway etc. it is pretty evident.

Re: I don't understand kids... - 06/13/18 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Lol no you gotta get a RAM to get that kind of lean, with the fuel tank and def tank both on the same side and the coil springs (sorry excuse for a rear truck suspension) the truck sits over an inch lower on the driver side than the passenger side, when parked on level ground like a driveway etc. it is pretty evident.
I think a lot of them are that way just not a full inch. I was talking bro lean as in the bed is lower than the front.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum