Texas Fishing Forum

Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin

Posted By: Dfitz

Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 06/30/17 04:35 PM

Got away from my normal targets of Bass and Sunfish. This was my second time fishing for Gar. I caught some Shad and rigged up a rod. There were a bunch of small gar coming up for air. I had 8 runs, got 3 hooked up and fought to the boat and managed to get my hands on one. One was a Shortnose which was really cool to see up close. I also caught a 12lb Bowfin, it was a great fight, peeling line and turning my boat. I was glad to get so much action, lots of fun and plan to do this again.

Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 06/30/17 05:04 PM

That's a dandy bowfin. Good job.
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 06/30/17 07:14 PM

Did you catch the choupique at white rock?
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 06/30/17 07:28 PM

Nice Bowfin! They make great mounts by the way!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 04:34 AM

Awesome post and fish. Good job Andrew. cheers
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 02:35 PM

Nice job!
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 07:35 PM

Awesome rockon
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 08:04 PM

Those bowfins remind me of a fish in Florida by the name of mud fish. If they are anything alike they make some good patties and fight great.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 10:37 PM

Same fish, different name.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/01/17 11:05 PM

Right on! Where can a guy find them in DFW? I'm in...
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/02/17 12:07 AM

Nice Grinnel.Lake Fork i bet?
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/02/17 12:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I caught it in ETX. Pm me if you want the location.

I've met a bunch of fishermen lately at some of my spots. I ask them if they are on TFF, and they all say "no, but read it for tips or places to try". I don't mind posting tips but I don't want to give all my locations to the public, just TFF community. Does that make me a jerk?
Posted By: garbow

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/02/17 02:33 AM

Awesome!! Bowfin!! The gar in a needle nose gar sir. And if you will fray out some 1/4-3/8 nylon rope and make kind of a jig with your hook and bait it gets tangled up in their teeth most of the time you won't hook them with the hook but you will catch them. Good luck tight lines !!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/02/17 03:01 AM

Andrew. You are fish catching MACHINE! hooked Good job buddy! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/02/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Andrew. You are fish catching MACHINE! hooked Good job buddy! thumb

Totally agree.
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/03/17 01:22 PM

Great fish! I love catching Bowfin!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Caught a Gar & Big Bowfin - 07/03/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Thanks everyone for the replies. I caught it in ETX. Pm me if you want the location.

I've met a bunch of fishermen lately at some of my spots. I ask them if they are on TFF, and they all say "no, but read it for tips or places to try". I don't mind posting tips but I don't want to give all my locations to the public, just TFF community. Does that make me a jerk?

Totally Agree with you Andrew. If it's a BIG body of water I sometimes post the name. If it's a small river,creek,lake,or pond I will only share it with a select group of anglers. That is just me! thumb

Side Note: I will always give information on how I am catching fish as for how deep,bait,techniques,and tackle. coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum