Texas Fishing Forum

Carp restaurant

Posted By: blooper961

Carp restaurant - 01/28/17 10:29 PM

Never heard of a restaurant serving carp.
On Diners,Drive Ins and Dives last night they had a restaurant that served fried carp and catfish.
Any more restaurants or is this the one and only?
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/28/17 10:38 PM

I saw carp on the menu in Germany. Worldwide, it's a highly respected food fish. Pretty rare to see that in the US though.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/28/17 11:36 PM

Never had Carp but people who have say it's good if prepared right. hmmm
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/29/17 12:59 AM

There's a lot of restaurants that serve carp in Louisiana my cousin fishes them commercialy down there
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/30/17 09:39 AM

Oh c'mon Texas...drive down south and you'll find all kinds of ma & pa restaurants cooking up some fine Carp, Buffalo, Drum & Longnose Gar. wink
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/31/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
There's a lot of restaurants that serve carp in Louisiana my cousin fishes them commercialy down there

Main item on a lot of menus in restaurants in Louisiana. Plus #1.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Carp restaurant - 01/31/17 07:06 PM

There not bad just makes a mess when you clean them
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/06/17 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Never had Carp but people who have say it's good if prepared right. hmmm

While some people treat it like any other fish; due to it's red & more oily meat, I like to suggest grilling or smoking carp and using more robust flavors like bbq, mesquite, etc. If taken from questionable waters, soak the fillets in beer or buttermilk, sprite, etc, for a few hours before grilling. When grilling, score the meat first, place them skin down and baste as often as you want. Might surprise you how good these fish can taste.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/08/17 02:25 AM

There is a pretty famous one in Nebraska. Lincoln I think.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/08/17 10:16 PM

https://joetessplace.com/go/menu/
Posted By: COFF

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/20/17 04:09 PM

I've seen European grocery stores with live tanks full of carp. Here, you expect to see lobsters or crabs. But there, its carp and sardines.
Posted By: GoPokes

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/20/17 05:02 PM

Something about Omaha I guess.

http://www.mofishcafe.com/Menu/0/Menus.aspx
Posted By: texdanm

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/22/17 09:41 PM

Carp are like a lot of fish in that knowing how to clean them and cook them is very important. Gar are great IF yopu know what to do with them. I used to pay for the gas on most of my fishing trips with a couple of big gar. I would swing by a car wash in my end of town and sell them for 5 bucks apiece. The place that I fished was infested with them so at the end of the day I'd take my dead mud minnows and catch a couple of 4' or bigger gars. LOL, I used to rake a friend and his son fishing a lot and after we did that one trip he was always ready to call it a day so he could catch some gar.
Posted By: CoC Angler

Re: Carp restaurant - 02/25/17 08:08 AM

Saw that episode of DDD and the way they did it, looked pretty amazing. I might try that technique with buffalo one day....
Posted By: Jared D.

Re: Carp restaurant - 03/17/17 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: dmunsie
Oh c'mon Texas...drive down south and you'll find all kinds of ma & pa restaurants cooking up some fine Carp, Buffalo, Drum & Longnose Gar. wink

Been all over Texas and never seen a single restaurant sell it.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Carp restaurant - 03/17/17 06:06 PM

My brother went to cooking school & tells me that carp is useful as filler in things like crab cakes so you don't have to use as much expensive crab.

The ones he's made taste good.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Carp restaurant - 03/17/17 11:09 PM

I caught a small carp once out of good, clean water. I prepared it like I would a crappie or catfish. It didn't taste worth a carp.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum