Texas Fishing Forum

Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time

Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/14/16 08:45 PM

All of you that like to fish for Carp. Please come to lake Austin and take all the grass carp that you can.

Heck have a tourney, there are some that are up to 40 lbs

Lake Austin Vegetation Meeting
Posted By: cmc

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/14/16 10:47 PM

This should get interesting.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/15/16 02:59 AM

Sounds like funz
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/17/16 06:37 PM

where on the TPWD website does it show the permit has been pulled? From what i just checked it's still there.
The whole lets use an invasive fish to stop and invasive plant was stupid. But to let that same invasive plant come back while the invasive fish's life span is only 7 years is stupid as well.
Posted By: Big Ted

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/18/16 04:24 PM

https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/fishery-...what-being-done
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/18/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ScottEvil
where on the TPWD website does it show the permit has been pulled? From what i just checked it's still there.
The whole lets use an invasive fish to stop and invasive plant was stupid. But to let that same invasive plant come back while the invasive fish's life span is only 7 years is stupid as well.

Agreed. They're hoping for a short term solution to a long term problem.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/18/16 11:40 PM

if they are grass carp,what do they eat?
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/19/16 01:11 PM

I read the whole bit, made sense from a biologist's (an old one like me anyhow) perspective when colored by the needs of the reservoir manager/city and budgetary concerns.

Grass carp is a management tool just like a powerful herbicide having a long lasting residual effect. Especially nowadays with sterile (triploid) grass carp as the only one being utilized. But long lasting isn't forever, and like a powerful herbicide they can "drift" and have potentially undesirable side effects in other places. But what effects are "desirable or not so" is more to do with the observer than anything else (fisherman vs. lakeside homeowner).

Hydrilla is a non-indigenous weed that sometimes provides suitable habitat for native and non-native species, some of which are desirable to sportsmen, some of which are not. Just like grass carp, tilapia love the stuff as food and cover both. This may or may not be good for the local bass, which usually has little to do with whether or not it is good for the local bass fishermen.

In my life as a fisheries biologist I've found that for the most part, bass fishermen just want to catch a lot of really big bass, really easily, in a short period of time when its convenient to them and without having to go too far or spend a lot of money. Pretty much anything at all that they perceive to be an impediment to this, whether it is or not, they just don't like. Stuff like work, broke down truck, wife wanting toilet fixed, tilapia and grass carp. OTOH they like things such as, happy wife with lots of brownie points in the bank, cheap gas, buddy that likes to fish and spend money, new boat that works good, state hatchery bass stockings and hydrilla.

Kinda like a herd of goats, grass carp will eat the stuff they like the most first (hydrilla, elodea, najas) and when its gone they eat stuff they like less (cattails, carpetgrass along the edges, duckweed) then stuff they don't care for at all, but eat instead of starve to death (milfoil, coontail, hyacinth) some stuff they won't eat at all (chara, filamentous algae, planktonic algae).

So, now that the carp done ate the hydrilla and the water's greened up, the shad and sunfish'll do really good, the bass'll eat a lot, and when the carp dies off and the weeds come back and the water gets clear again, a buncha whoppers'll be waitin' to be caught.

Patience, Grasshopper.....
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 07/21/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
All of you that like to fish for Carp. Please come to lake Austin and take all the grass carp that you can.

Heck have a tourney, there are some that are up to 40 lbs

Lake Austin Vegetation Meeting

The permit is still in effect and stated will not be removed.
Posted By: NjTexan

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/12/16 02:44 PM

The permit has been revoked for grass carp in Lake Austin.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160907a

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/12/16 04:16 PM

Gonna be a bunch of bass boats covered in blood if they legally harvest them by gutting or beheading. I've never fished there but I may go soon to catch a few grass carp as I've never caught one but I have no reason to kill it.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/12/16 06:57 PM

For me those son's of guns have been hard to catch. If anyone has any tips on bait specifically for grass carp they would share, that would be great.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/13/16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Gonna be a bunch of bass boats covered in blood if they legally harvest them by gutting or beheading. I've never fished there but I may go soon to catch a few grass carp as I've never caught one but I have no reason to kill it.

You are required by law to kill any grass carp caught on a body of water that does not have a permit.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/13/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookem

You are required by law to kill any grass carp caught on a body of water that does not have a permit.

Guess I read it wrong. I swore it said MAY now legal retain if gutted and/or head was cut off.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/13/16 07:28 PM

I wonder will there be places at the parks to dispose of them if you HAVE to keep them. I can see somebody at a park ripping the guts out of one and chopping it's head off when a bunch people are walking by or having a picnic. grin

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/14/16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Hookem

Negatory.
You are allowed to release them if you don't want to keep them. To my knowledge TPWD doesn't have any regulations that require any kind of critter to be killed.

The specific wording for Lake Austin is " Any angler who catches a grass carp in Lake Austin may now legally retain the fish, provided it has been gutted or has had the head removed."

Under the general rules section the wording is "Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the intestines"

So if you are keeping grass carp they must be gutted or beheaded. One is still legally allowed to release them.
If you have the lakes interests at heart, you will gut them or behead them and not release them.
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/14/16 11:23 PM

Considering that the grassers are sterile and that I'm not prepared for gutting beheading and freezer storage when I catch them.I have never felt bad about releasing them.The percentage of grass carp that are captured I would think is very small and would not even have much of an impact.They will eventually die off and the lake will turn back into a giant weedbed. It brings a smile to all the youngers on the the wakeboards to have less weeds> I preferred the days with way less grass carp for my own enjoyment of fishing lake austin for commons and buffalo.For those who are prepared it could be a source of food and help the lake at the same time as long as the heads and guts are not just tossed in the park trash cans or in the lake. My last trip to lake Austin I would have had to carry out close to 100 lbs of just heads and guts.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/15/16 02:23 AM

Care to share what bait worked for the grassers ? A PM is welcome.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/15/16 03:19 PM

NjT,

Not surprisingly, seems TPW has conflicting info on their site.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/gcarp/

snip:
Because grass carp is a potentially invasive species, an angler who catches one must immediately remove the intestines, except in waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect.

Kill 'em!

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/15/16 05:07 PM

I'll be darned.

Thanks for pointing that out. Any day I can learn something is a good day, even if I learn I was wrong. cool

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/16/16 02:16 AM

I guess it's one of those deals that the warden who checks you would have to decide. I don't keep any kinda fish really. I was considering fishing lake Austin while I was around there but may not if I have to kill and dispose of any grass carp I catch. Unless there is a disposal station at the park or something convenient I may just as soon pay the fine and throw them back.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/16/16 01:50 PM

If anyone wants to catch catfish or alligator gar, grassers make decent cut bait for them.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/16/16 08:35 PM

The verdict is in! I asked this question to game wardens in the area and here is the answer, drum roll please!!!!..............the answer from the horses mouth is, we aren't exactly sure!! That's right even the wardens are confused by a few words. Seems that the words, may, have, and posses are confusing more than just us. Basically I was told it seems that you SHOULD but I'm not sure that you HAVE TO.

When I asked what is your suggestion to someone traveling with no way to dispose of the bodies and honestly no where to really do the dead of killing them without being seen by passers by, I was told, I don't know.

When I asked what will happen in the event I am seen releasing one back in lake Austin I was told there could possibly be a fine but one could translate the law to read in his favor.

Basically nobody knows and this wasn't thought thru very well and if I happen to catch one I'll let it go and take my chances.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/16/16 11:06 PM

Good for you CMC, I had a whole write up that I decided to not post at the last minute this morning but it said that even the game wardens most likely would not even know the laws that now require gutting on both sides of Tom Miller Dam which seperates Lady bird lake and lake austin and only a bit earlier required a fine for not releasing them on the lake austin side and a fine for releasing them on the other side of the dam just a cast away.I 've been checked for license on LBL but never at Emma long park.TRYINg to clean and gut fish that average well over 20 lbs is most likely going to be messy and create flies and maggots and not make the lakes and parks a better place for all to use.The vast majority of carp ang;lers have been outlaws on LBL and releasing the sterile grassers in front of the crowds that are sure to gather when fish up to 50lbs + are captured.Putting the burden of weed control on anglers who value catch and release and fine them for not doing so has turned me into one of those outlaws.K-1 baits tutti fruiti flavored corn on a hair rig has been my favorite for grassers.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/18/16 08:02 PM

ATTENTION: Everybody go to Joe Pool Lake in Dallas,
catch all the carp,buffalo you can stand.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/20/16 01:15 AM

I was fishing Joe Pool twice a week but the water is down too far now in my regular spot. You got any suggestions on places.
Posted By: Battson34

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/20/16 06:43 PM

Can you bow hunt them there?
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/21/16 08:43 AM

I do not know

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/22/16 03:06 PM

According to an email from Marcos DeJesus you are NOT required to keep and kill the grass carp in lake Austin.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/22/16 03:36 PM

According to an email from Marcos DeJesus you are NOT required to keep and kill the grass carp in lake Austin.

100% correct. Here's exactly what I just got from him.

Hello, Chuck. Thank you for bringing this issue up to us with the applicable links. No one should be forced to kill any fish or wildlife against their will. The ruling is officially worded that they must be killed and gutted if possessed (harvested) in the Outdoor Annual. I believe the wording in the webpage you provided is misleading. I have copied our web coordinator to clarify this on the page. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/22/16 04:02 PM

Yep that's basically the email I got too.

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/22/16 06:55 PM

Sounds good . No more life of crime for me. The cover-ups and sneaking 35lb+ fish back in the lake was'nt that difficult though. I 've put monster fish back in within 60ft.of other anglers and they never knew what happeneed, but it usually draws a crowd.I think everybody is happy with this decision.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/23/16 12:32 PM

On the other hand, why return the critters when they are clealy detrimental to the fishery?
You've gotta do what's right for you, but I'll be harvesting...

Re: Grass Carp Problem - Permit Pulled - Tourney Time - 09/23/16 04:35 PM

I checked up on it and the lifespan of triploid grassers is only about 11 years unlike common carp and buffalo that can live probably 25years +. It's been quit a lot of years since they stocked'em at over 15,000 per year.Their may be a lot in the lake right now but being sterile they will being dying off by the thousands each year.Maybe in as little as a decade they may have to become concerned about weed control again and start restocking.Most people who don't have carp gear and specific knowledge on how to catch them and put some effort and money into it most likely will blank and catch nothing. Even if carp anglers get organized and envolved I don't think it will make any noticable difference with the weeds in the lake short term. Brian maybe we can get a CAG (Carp ANglers Group) fish in and grass carp fish fry at Emma Long! My best guess is that maybe about 2 people would show up even if I went and the other would be you.Honestly if I knew I had to clean them I would rather just stay home.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum