Texas Fishing Forum

New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium

Posted By: Mike Doran

New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/03/16 08:55 PM

I caught what appears to be a Chub in cast net. Great little fish for my Texas themed aquarium. He likes to hang out on the bottom with the catfish and my Texas log perch.
Posted By: theCARPenter

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/07/16 09:11 PM

Very cool I have always wanted to do a Texas themed tank.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/08/16 01:51 PM

Me too

Ever seen a red spotted sunfish? They make a pretty addition, especially with good light

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/08/16 02:32 PM

I have a few sunfish and blue gill as well. They are very aggressive but fun to watch. Unfortunatly one of my 4 longnosed gar liked the Chub more than I did. But thats part of nature. Made his belly very full! Chub only lasted 2 days before it was dinner. I also keep 3 crawfish in tank for that do great cleanup work. The craw fish have been might be having babies now!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/08/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dawson Hefner
Me too

Ever seen a red spotted sunfish? They make a pretty addition, especially with good light

There are ton's of them in the Comal River in New Braunfels. coolio Small but very aggressive. thumb
Posted By: greentumater

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/09/16 05:17 PM

Awesome little capture Mike! You will be referred to as Chubs Doran from now on. thumb
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/10/16 03:23 AM

That looked like a spottail shiner to me, but im not certain.
I had problems with crawfish eating the fish...

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/10/16 03:28 PM

Cmall Chub is very simular to a spot tail shiner at this size. Spot tail shiner will have more pointed fins and a more pointy shape mouth. Where Chub are more rounded off. Also The spot tail shiner wone have the black dot on dorsal fin. I had a few shiners in tank at one point but they did not live long. Gar liked them too much!
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/11/16 03:54 AM

Actually, that is, or rather was, a bullhead minnow. The prominent spot on the dorsal fin and on the base of the tail give it away. Close relative of the fathead minnow. The chubs I'm most familiar with in Texas are related, but in the genus Macrhybopsis. They're generally really slender, have a more underslung mouth, and have 1-2 pairs of small barbels at the corners of their mouth. They're generally going to be found only in streams, and often in or near swift water. However, you likely thought you had a creek chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/11/16 03:54 PM

Thanks Catfih_Hunter! I think you are correct sir. After searching the web for bullhead minnow seems to be a perfect match. thanks for the ID Help. I am never afraid to admit when I am wrong. Thats the only waty to stay educated.

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/11/16 09:15 PM

Cool to see people who are also interested in fish-ing and fish-tanks like myself. Brian! What do you keep?

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/11/16 11:46 PM

I used to have 12 aquariums up to 120 gallons full of all kinds of fresh water fish. My big 120g tanks had all African Cichlids. Now I just have one 55 gallon tank that is Texas themed. It has no gravel to keep water cleaner and help with cleaning. It has 4 large very holey river rocks that I dug out of a creek. Right now it has 4 Long nosed gar. 2 blue gill, 2 sunfish, 2 log perch, 3 channel catfish, 3 crawfish, and 2 non native fish. Non native fish are 1 very large Pleco and one 5 inch long koi. I need to find a new home for a few of the gar as they are beginning to get too big for my 55 gallon aquarium. The gar are fed a diet of gold fish from pet store and minnows that I catch in streams. The rest of the fish eat fish flakes. I have 3 gar to give away for now if anyone wants some.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/12/16 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: Dawson Hefner
Me too

There are ton's of them in the Comal River in New Braunfels. coolio Small but very aggressive. thumb

That's one addition I really want! Orange spots are a great little fish too.

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/14/16 10:35 PM

We have a few... the biggest is a 125 malawi tank, a 125 Tanganyika Tank and a 90 with a fahaka puffer
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/17/16 01:41 PM

Very nice.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/18/16 01:08 PM

Thanks for the education Mike! cheers
I'd like to catch a few of their grownups!

I dont currently keep an aquarium but when i did i would keep some sunfish and mosquito fish.
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: New Chub for my Texas themed aquarium - 03/22/16 02:17 PM

cool tank
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum