Texas Fishing Forum

Big carp

Posted By: Ranger7

Big carp - 05/27/14 05:11 AM

Hey guys, what are some lakes in DFW area that hold big carp? I have fished and caught lots of them at grapevine but the biggest one was 23 lbs so I would like to try catching some 30 lbs plus. Thanks for any advise you can give me.
Posted By: Big Ted

Re: Big carp - 05/28/14 04:09 PM

There are some giants at Fork. Athens has some too. Big bodies of water. Good luck.

Re: Big carp - 05/28/14 08:04 PM

Thanks Big Ted - it's little far for me but maybe I will make a trip one day.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Big carp - 05/29/14 04:55 AM

Grapevine, LakeWorth, Eagle Mountain, Ray Hubbard, all hold large Carp. Also I'm a firm believer the Trinity River holds some large Carp in it as well. Fishing for large Carp is similar to fishing for large Flat Head Catfish. You have to put in the time, research, etc. What I would do is pick a spot closest to your home, stick with it and fish it, chum it, etc, etc, for days, weeks, etc, and eventually you should start catching larger fish. One tip that has worked well for me over the years is to fish PAST my chum line. Seems like the bigger fish are always watching the smaller/younger ones getting hooked. wink lol..

Re: Big carp - 05/29/14 01:10 PM

Thanks dmunsie - I did find a spot on Grapevine and have been catching lots of carps but they are pretty small. The buffalos are bigger - I will stick with it and see what happens. I will try Ray Hubbard as it's a good lake for flatheads as well so I can fish for both at the same time lol.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Big carp - 05/29/14 02:57 PM

No problem. wink Grapevine kind of spoils you because it's fairly easy (and quick) to hook up with a 10lb+ Carp or 15lb Buffalo. And then you want something larger and it seems like they just aren't there. lol.. They are there, but they are harder to find/catch, etc. The larger Carp/Buffalo I've caught at Grapevine has always been at night time fwiw.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Big carp - 05/29/14 08:49 PM

Fork, Palestine, Toledo Bend, and the Sabine River all have large carp/buffalo. The Sabine river has produced Buffalo in excess of 90#'s.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum