Texas Fishing Forum

Mid March North of the border

Posted By: Freshwater Phil

Mid March North of the border - 03/18/14 09:09 PM

While y'all discussing the carp spawn, we're stuck in one of our coldest and longest lasting winters in recent history. Probably won't be much carp caught here before the end of April, so we make due with what we have. Weather warmed up a bit to just below freezing. Hit the ice r the first time in 7 weeks. Nearly 3 feet of ice, we fished out of my friends F150, caught my first few Northern Pike of the season.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/19/14 02:16 AM

Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/19/14 03:11 AM

Those pike are incredible.Very nice. thumb
Posted By: SomethingSmellsFishy

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/19/14 06:22 PM

very nice!

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/19/14 06:42 PM

They were quiet fiesty, but not too big by our standards, probably about average for the Montreal area. No monsters, but still quite happy with the outing.

From the way things look, we may ice fishing well into April in some areas. Most species close on March 31st, but black crappie still open, so will have to find some of those if I'm out on ice by then.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/20/14 12:59 AM

What a beauty!
Posted By: CATnHAT

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/27/14 02:36 PM

Gotta love ice fishing

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/27/14 02:47 PM

wheres the ice hut? Those sure make it nice

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/27/14 02:47 PM

Funny, can be ice fishing in a t-shirt in one of them!
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/27/14 03:14 PM

Oh, I thought you meant Oklahoma! lol...

Nice catches! I'm now in Traverse City, MI and have blanked the several times I was out on the ice...

Re: Mid March North of the border - 03/28/14 12:51 AM

I'm not much of an ice hut guy. For the most part, I like to move around a lot usually on foot in open air. Typically won't fish like that if it's colder than -10, though I tried one outing in -25 in January just because. I have a hand auger, so drilling more holes helped me warm up on that outing. May do one more on Monday, it's the last day of our fishing season for most species. After that, it's back to carp in open water if ever it decides to thaw out, other species start opening again in May, with some closed until mid June.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum