Texas Fishing Forum

Bowfin

Posted By: olenarey87

Bowfin - 08/12/13 04:12 PM

First of all I'm not positive bowfin count as rough fish so sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I caught my first bowfin today (by accident). I was fishing next to some good cover with cut sunfish and that thing hit my bait like a freight train. It was a blast. Only like 3-4 pounds I'm guessing, maybe 5. I thought I was pulling in a 10-15 pound flathead. It was a good fight and I released the fish to fight another day.
I had some questions about it though seeing as I have zero experience with them:
1) are they any good to eat?
2) if try are good to eat, what is the legal size? I didn't see anything about bowfin on the TPWD site.
3) if not good to eat, are they legal to cut up and use as bait?

The answers to these questions might be on TPWD but I did not see them in my quick search. I did notice bowfin isn't listed as a game fish so does this mean its fair game?
Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Bowfin - 08/13/13 01:34 AM

Bowfin are rough fish, so there shouldn't be any size or bag limit, nor any closed season. I've never tried to eat one, but I know people who have and they weren't impressed.

On the other hand, it's a shame that we don't get them here in central TX (as far as I know), they're a cool-looking fish and strong fighters. I guess you've been catching them somewhere near the Louisiana or Arkansas borders?

Re: Bowfin - 08/13/13 03:29 AM

I caught my first one today and it was an awesome fighter. Yes I am by the Louisiana border also.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Bowfin - 08/14/13 03:24 AM

They are here in all Texas waters. Trust me on this. They are in my opinion the hardest fighting fish found in freshwater. They will flat out tear up your terminal tackle.

Re: Bowfin - 08/14/13 04:59 AM

Yeah I have caught 2 the past couple days while fishing for catfish. They were a blast!
Posted By: dead_eye_dick

Re: Bowfin - 09/06/13 02:16 AM

Lake o the pines, Gladewater lake, and most East Tx lakes have plenty of grinnels/bowfins/snakeheads (east tx lingo.) This was caught on live minnow whilst crappie fishing below the spillway off 155. It was 3.5 feet long and 6.5 lbs. my friend Thomas (pictured) had a great fight with this puppy. Both of us have caught them off of spinnerbaits, top water poppers, earthworm, plastic worms. None have been as bug as this one! Congrats Thomas!
Ps. I didn't catch anything that day:(
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Bowfin - 09/06/13 12:56 PM

I don't think that they are in all Texas waters. I may be wrong and am not a bowfin expert. I have never heard of one being caught west of about the Brazos River basin. I have caught them at Fork and several small East Texas lakes. All have been accidental catches trying for bass.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Bowfin - 09/07/13 02:21 AM

not much use as bait. just fish for them for fun, eat the sunfish. bowfin meat is like cream cheese texture
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Bowfin - 09/07/13 03:45 AM

Cedar Creek has a bunch of em in there
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Bowfin - 09/07/13 04:05 AM

They are a very cool fish, nice replies on this thread.
Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Re: Bowfin - 09/08/13 09:45 PM

The first time I caught some Grinnels was about 2years ago in Lake Ray Hubbard..
I found a creek that is impossible to see on any map including good earth and you have to beat through the bush to get to it..no trash, no trails, so I know there aren't many people fishin there.

I took live minnows with my dad to catch some crappie/catfish/drum or anything else we could catch.

We caught a few drum and catfish and then next thing you know, I find the creek. Minnows were dead and the creek was very slow moving, almost stagnant. Good sign for catfish I thought.

Threw 2 minnows out on 1 hook and 10 seconds later hooked up on something that made my line scream! Wasn't a giant but it was about a 3lb Grinnel!!

Threw more minnows out and kept on catching grinnel after grinnel, mixed in with 2 turtles and a flathead.
I wish I lived by there so I could catch them again!!

We took one home to see how they taste.
1) Do not put them on ice!!!!! meat will become mushy and almost like really old mashed potatoes.
2) In order to really enjoy their meat, you have to cut them up as soon as you get home and cook them immediately.
3) You have to use good ingredients to really make them taste good, just like catfish/drum.

They taste really ood if you know how to cook them. We figured it out and we enjoyed over 5 grinnel/bowfin!!
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Bowfin - 09/14/13 01:55 PM

I don't know bout eatin em ....have heard in some places they is preferred food ....
they are a rough fish ....
they fight like heck ....
and they gots teeth to beet the band ....
an extra slimy as well ....
a gar /pike/catfish /bass /pitbull crossbreed maybe ...LOL
watch them chompers yawl ...nasty mean lil thangz they are
KABOOM >>>>>>>>
Posted By: SpeciesFisherman

Re: Bowfin - 09/14/13 05:40 PM

Those are great! Where are these i want to catch some!
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Bowfin - 09/20/13 11:34 AM

east Texas and Louisiana lakes seem to have a few ...
lake fork produces them fairly consistently i think ...
that one i ketched came from under a dock at fork ...
what a freight train with airtime ...
and the bite down power is immense ...pitbull/gator cross muscles in them jaws
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Bowfin - 09/21/13 02:49 AM

Clean em quickly, meat is pink and slimey, coat them and fry them, the meat will be snow white and really good. You MUST eat them while they're hot. Once they cool off the meat gets "cottony".
Posted By: Carpfisher

Re: Bowfin - 09/22/13 06:05 PM

Does anyone know where they are around the beaumont/winnie area?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum