Texas Fishing Forum

I love the Hebron swim

Posted By: dturnerfish

I love the Hebron swim - 05/06/12 03:26 AM

Caught 4 teeners. Also got To watch 2 koi cruise my swim, but I was unable to catch them. BUT I WILL EVENTUALY!

If you ever go there, be prepared for some serious weeds. Every Fish I caught today, and two that I lost, ducked into weeds.

3 of the 4 fish I caught on artificial maize on a new rig I am making specifically for this swim. The 4th was caught on popup tuity fruity. Anything that sinks is worthless here (for me).

The rig
1/4 ounce sliding weight, fixed rubber bead 30" up the line (keeping the weight from the hooklink), rig tubing, Korda shock bead, Korda quick clip, chod or reverse combi rig.
I am still playing with this, but it is getting there, staying on top of the weeds and catching.

Posted By: Cyprinus

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/07/12 01:04 AM

Nice session DT!

I'm gonna head out there sometime in the next few days. I bought some chod rig kits just for that place but haven't tried them yet.

Posted By: Stephen Clark

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 06:52 PM

love the way you always improvise when needed David

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 07:12 PM

I went there yesterday and fished all day. Blanked hard though I did see either a very light ghostie or a koi.

Posted By: Stephen Clark

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cyprinus
I went there yesterday and fished all day. Blanked hard though I did see either a very light ghostie or a koi.

Did you use the Chod Rig Ben?

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 07:36 PM

Yes but I think I need some lighter pear/bomb weights. I think my whole setup was burying itself in the weeds but I couldn't find weedy water shallow enough at the bank to check and see how everything was sitting. It is such a deep place and the weeds are so deep that I have no idea how well it was working. Maybe a much longer chod link would have worked better or maybe even zigs would be the ticket. I did have one rod well out beyond the weeds all day (with a standard rig) but didn't get any action on it either.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 07:39 PM

I also learned that that's not the place to go if you have spring allergies. lol

I had to come home early, my head was stopped up so tight and nose running so much that I was miserable and ended up sleeping about two hours last night with a splitting headache. smirk

Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 09:39 PM

They are kicking people out down there now, just a heads up

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarCarper
They are kicking people out down there now, just a heads up

Hmm, i have been there alot over the last month and have had no problem and have seen a lot of fishing traffic. Both sides? How long ago was it that you heard they kicked someone out?

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 11:05 PM

Was thinking the same thing DT. There was also a guy who backed his boat trailer in the lake, took his boat off and left his truck and trailer right there on the ramp. Then he proceeded to motor around the lake on plane for a couple of hours. Didn't really bother me but I'm sure the people there fishing for bass weren't terribly happy about it. I know Dad wasn't.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/10/12 11:55 PM

Ben, one thought for you.
I know you at times free line baits. Try it at Hebron.
Most fish I have caught have been within 20 feet.

I am just using. 1/4 ounce sliding weight.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 12:09 AM

Thanks DT. I did try freelining the first time I went there but got nothing but a bullhead. It is definitely worth another try though, especially after sighting that koi/ghostie.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 01:17 PM

this cop was telling me about all the new signs and they are stepping up patroling I had one stop me when I was back there fly fishing for carp and I told him I was on the only patch of water that dosn't have a sign on it and he said yes I was. they have posted a bunch of new no trespassing signs out there as well.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 08:11 PM

Are we talking about the same place Zach? I have seen no signs other than the ones in the old boat lot that have always been there.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 11:41 PM

yeah same place there are new signs all along the road now and over in the medical center parking lot. They have put new signs up all along that entire little watershed back in there bunch of new ones all behind the old bestbuy swim as well.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 11:45 PM

Was just there, no signs.....
And I was looking for them.

Must be talking about different areas of the pond.

Re: I love the Hebron swim - 05/11/12 11:47 PM

weird I was out there last weekend and you couldn't miss them.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum