Texas Fishing Forum

Knapp Lake, Haltom City?

Posted By: Keith_Thompson

Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 03/31/11 02:31 PM

Anyone know anything at all about this lake regarding carp?
Posted By: Stephen Clark

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 03/31/11 02:52 PM

have not heard of this place but looks good on google earth, worth checking out keith.
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 03/31/11 03:08 PM

mid teeners and a few koi
Posted By: Keith_Thompson

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 03/31/11 04:15 PM

Thanks Scott - might give it a try this weekend.
Posted By: Starless

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 04/01/11 12:11 AM

I've driven past that lake a dozen times or more, always thought it looked nice and carpy, and guessed it probably had some koi in it!

Gonna have to break down and fish it one of these days. Let us know how you do if you hit it, Keith.
Posted By: BankAFish

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 04/03/11 02:09 PM

Not worth it for serious carping, years ago before the hotel was put in and the lake partially drained (and a reported small fish kill too), you could catch 5lb bass pretty easy. It was also a good catfish, panfish hole. After the hotel was put in, fishing has never been the same. I've caught small carp there on a float. If you do go, bring a bass rod with a texas rigged worm and fish the shallow banks, in between Carp runs. wink
Posted By: Fishing natural

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 05/25/13 07:35 PM

just fished it today caught a 2.5 pound vass and a 1lb one too
Posted By: themilkman

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 05/25/13 08:26 PM

wow necro
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 05/25/13 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: themilkman
wow necro

No kiddin. Over a 2 year old thread. Knew something was wrong when I saw Starless on there.
Posted By: Tracy S

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 05/26/13 05:03 AM

Where did starless go?
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 05/27/13 01:37 AM

His last post was well over a year ago
Posted By: Bine

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/12/14 08:16 PM

Rise once more, Knapp Lake thread!

I fished here this morning. Nothing. The banks are mostly overgrown with cat tails, grasses, vitex and trees. There is also a lot of what looks like bidens, but has white flowers. The water is full of thick pondweed as far out as I could cast. Water clarity was stained clear near the hotel and cloudy tan near Denton Hwy. From what little I could see of the bottom from the banks, it looks sandy with chunks of cement, and a shopping cart.

There is evidence of people fishing; lure packages, worm cartons and I've seen people fishing before. There was one guy today. I didn't see him catch anything. I also saw what looked like a one person hobo camp in the trees near the apartments. It looked like it hadn't been used since it last rained.

The most access is from the gas station to the hotel. The other side, by the apartments, other gas station and hobo camp, has a small foot path to small clear area of bank. The side along Denton Hwy has a wall and a fence that would make fishing too much hassle, and you'd be fishing from the sidewalk anyway. The far side is not bank accessible at all; way swampy and overgrown. There is no real parking. The one guy parked at the edge of the gas station. I parked in the grass behind the hotel and in the grass on the other side by the hobo camp. It's obvious people drive and park in those locations all the time.

I used peanut butter bait, a soft dark blue sparkle worm and a plain brass weedless spoon. I looked for carp runs through the pondweed, but didn't see any. I did see minnows and red ear turtles. There were also rabbits, doves and an egret.
Posted By: Twotoes

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/12/14 10:17 PM

Fished there regularly in the late 60's and 70's. Caught nice crappie, bream and bass. There was no civilization around it at the time, just a barbed wire fence. There were beavers then. Didn't see any deer but there were tracks.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/13/14 03:51 AM

Me and Crago put a lot of hours in on knapp a couple years ago. Probably 50 hours total over the course of a month. Never landed a carp. He did manage to catch a 30+ lb blue cat on carp bait one day though.
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/14/14 06:40 PM

I think Starless and Crago must have gotten too close to a black hole near one of those swims.I hav'nt even heard too much from Keith lately.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/15/14 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: greentumater
I think Starless and Crago must have gotten too close to a black hole near one of those swims.I hav'nt even heard too much from Keith lately.

Crago is a daddy now. Last I heard he was working a ton of hours paying for them diapers! Hopefully he'll be back one of these days.
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Knapp Lake, Haltom City? - 07/15/14 04:04 PM

Good for Jeff. Them kids need diapers more than a daddy that captures carp. We will look forward to the day he is back with those young ones on the bank together!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum