Texas Fishing Forum

eagle mountain

Posted By: RGBass

eagle mountain - 05/03/10 04:56 PM

Was on eagle mountain Saturday and there dead carp all over the lake. What is causing that?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 05:01 PM

This is the second report of that. Initial report seemed to indicate that there were only 15 to 20. This would not be a major concern. How many did you see? An algae bloom has killed over 100,000 fish at Possum Kingdom and Whitney. Would hate to see that in the Trinity river chain.
Posted By: RGBass

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 05:05 PM

we must have seen about 30-40, all different areas of the lake. Was fishing a tourny and the other boaters reported the same thing.
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 05:27 PM

Spring Viremia AKA carp herpes....see it some place every year.

Signs- May include darkening of the skin, exophthalmia (pop-eye), ascites (dropsy), pale gills, hemorrhages in the gills, skin, and eye, and a protruding vent with a thick mucoid (white to yellowish) fecal cast.
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 05:29 PM

How big were the fish? I ask because I remember that about this time last year, Memorial day weekend to be exact, It was the same situation only it was a mix of big cats and big carp, Some of the cats were over 30# and most of the carp where mid teens. I never saw any fish that were average size. Im thinking it could be due to the spawn. I hope and pray that the G.A hasn't hit E.M. and this is the start of something. I'll take the boat out tomorrow night on the south end and see what it looks like
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Fish4everything
How big were the fish? I ask because I remember that about this time last year, Memorial day weekend to be exact, It was the same situation only it was a mix of big cats and big carp, Some of the cats were over 30# and most of the carp where mid teens. I never saw any fish that were average size. Im thinking it could be due to the spawn. I hope and pray that the G.A hasn't hit E.M. and this is the start of something. I'll take the boat out tomorrow night on the south end and see what it looks like

see my above post and look for these signs on the fish...I am nearly positive its the herpes....

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 06:02 PM

Will do. Thanks for the info! I'll bet your right. I figured it was because of the spawn just didn't know it would be a deadly S.T.D. These fish are gonna have to start wrapping it up or double bagging it
Posted By: XXmikeXX

Re: eagle mountain - 05/03/10 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Curt0407
An algae bloom has killed over 100,000 fish at Possum Kingdom and Whitney.

What's interesting is in most algea related fish kills carp are usually the last to die, if they die at all. Their adaptability generally allows them to withstand the lower oxygen levels.
Posted By: lancer821

Re: eagle mountain - 05/04/10 03:55 AM

Saw them too, and stopped to check a few out and they had a hole in their side. The bow fishermen have been out.

Re: eagle mountain - 05/04/10 05:48 AM

Why would they shoot to waste? I thought most BF shoot for fertilizer companies and stuff like that. Maybe i just haven't heard about the darkside. That sucks realmad
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: eagle mountain - 05/04/10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Fish4everything
Why would they shoot to waste? I thought most BF shoot for fertilizer companies and stuff like that. Maybe i just haven't heard about the darkside. That sucks realmad

most bf shoot and waste. Very few actually utilize their kills. Plus using edible fish as fertilizer is against the wanton waste law
Posted By: Stephen Clark

Re: eagle mountain - 05/04/10 12:33 PM

BFers are just a freaken waste of space
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum