Texas Fishing Forum

Fresh Made Boilies!

Posted By: angler_josh

Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 07:57 AM

Got bored so i tried experimenting with some bait making. Made a boilie "sample pack" with Anise, Double G, Strawberry, Chili pepper and Fish meal flavor. I boiled up small batches of each flavor so i could see which one works best, i just hope they work it always fun to catch fish on baits made you made yourself.
Anyone else make their own boilies?

Posted By: wm leo

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 08:51 AM

Josh they look pretty good! but dont you let them dry after being cooked?
I made some wooden frames with some chicken fence on top
After cooking I drop them strait on the chicken fence and let them dry for 24-48hrs it makes them harder
Boilie making can be messy some times if you make large amounts
But its very satisfying and its much cheaper then just buy ready mades
Ready mades have a lot of preservatives in them wich is not good for the carp and most important you never know what kind of ingredience they use so you dont learn much about what carp eat
Your doing the right thing by making different boilies its the only way to learn about what they prefer WTG dude!!

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 09:24 AM

Any problems you have with making them just send me a pm
I am always willing to help out as much as I can
Posted By: Smile-n-Nod

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dutch leo
I am always willing to help out as much as I can

Can you share a simple-but-effective recipe for boilies? Some European boilie recipes read like a witch's brew of exotic ingredients and it would be helpful to know a good recipe that catches fish that can be made with off-the-shelf foodstuffs.

Thanks.

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:15 PM

Sure I can and I did a while back with chicken willys post about making your own bait and stuff
I realy hate the way european anglers are making simple things way to complecated creating a myth that dont even exist

This is a very good one ( please note that it is adjusted because its pointless to use fishmeals because of catfish problems)

30% CALF MILK POWDER ( a bit fatty but a very good atractor)
30% Semolina (needed to harden the bait so its a bulk ingredient)
30% mais or corn meal(for the same reason as semolina)
10% wheat gluten (extra binder to make a compact hard bait)

This is a basic dry mix and please add chily powder and paprica powder up to a total of 10% to spice things up carp realy like it HOT

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:20 PM

Thanks. Sorry I didn't see your other reply.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:30 PM

Leo, your recipe also include eggs and/or water, doesn't it?
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:44 PM

I have 3 sets of rolling tables its fun.

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:50 PM

Yeah brian sorry I forgat that This is the dry mix used as a base
The eggs are the wet stuff you use to make the dough in the eggs you can mix the flavours ( if needed) and stuff like molasses(do I have it right this time brett?) but you can also add red sell or other atractors
I have to say that I DONT use flavours because they make it more expensive and its a chemical base and I think thats never good
But thats just me if you like flavours use them

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarCarper
I have 3 sets of rolling tables its fun.

It is fun making your own and its not
I do it with 2 friends and we make between 70-100pounds a week if carp is realy on the bait ( the fall)
And thats a LOT of bait making my house a very messy place ( no wonder why all the wifes ran off!!) LOL

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:32 PM

do you have a pneumatic sausage gun?

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:32 PM

molasses(do I have it right this time brett?)

Yess, yoo hav speld it kerekly. smile

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:33 PM

The eggs are the wet stuff you use to make the dough

How many eggs per how much dry mix?

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:41 PM

[quote=LoneStarCarper]do you have a pneumatic sausage gun? [/quote
Yes I do I was using the hand gun but it was way to heavy to operate I am not that strong
The pneumatic gun is much better if you make large amounts and you can make the dough more firm and that makes the boilies harder

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:46 PM

I was about to say, that much bait by hand...do you use tables or have a rolling machine?

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Smile-n-Nod
The eggs are the wet stuff you use to make the dough

How many eggs per how much dry mix?

I never use more than 30eggs at one go because its to much to make the dough ball (to much volume)
I just mix the eggs in a baby bath with the atractors using a kitchen whisker and the add the dry mix slowly until the dough is the right thicknes ( sorry I never weigh it)

can you imagine standing in the supermarket with 300eggs in the car?
If people ask me whats that the standerd answer is Ive got a new girlfriend so I need a lot of eggs!(lol)

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 03:59 PM

I was about to say, that much bait by hand...do you use tables or have a rolling machine?

No i still use the rolling table but I use the biggest size 25mm I do that because I beleeve in BIG baits to sort out the bigger fish
I even hand roll them if its needed to use bigger baits like 30-35mm its a lot of work but we beleeve in that stuff
If yo make smaller baits its a lot more work and the total amounts we make will drop a lot

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 04:13 PM

I have 30mm rolling tables :)HEE-HAA I have only used them a couple of times, I like 15mm baits and I will start with 3 on a hair but if I need to go down to smaller baits I can switch to just one. plus I don't have a stick for 30mm baits thought about making one out of PVC but never got around to it...anymore I fish Mistal baits all the time....they catch a tone of fish and I have a ton of confidence in them

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 04:33 PM

I have 30mm rolling tables :)HEE-HAA I have only used them a couple of times, I like 15mm baits and I will start with 3 on a hair but if I need to go down to smaller baits I can switch to just one. plus I don't have a stick for 30mm baits thought about making one out of PVC but never got around to it...anymore I fish Mistal baits all the time....they catch a tone of fish and I have a ton of confidence in them

YOU HAVE A 30mm ONE how did that happen??? chit ive been looking all over for that one and never found it
The tric to throw them with the pipe is to just make it stick on the end of the pipe
And you can throw it a long way it needs a bit of practice but it can be done
CONFIDENCE thats what its all about ask smile n nodd LOL

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 04:37 PM

CONFIDENCE thats what its all about ask smile n nodd LOL

wink
Posted By: Starless

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 08:52 PM

Nice looking boilies!

Bret and I ( Team Oskar Blues/Jack@ss ) make our own boilies whenever we head down to Emma. We caught some really nice fish on them in the past.
Posted By: Bankin_JoeŽ

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/03/09 11:12 PM

having trouble finding SEMOLINA.. any help guys?

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/04/09 12:14 AM

I had trouble finding it too, if you live near a whole foods store that may be a good place to look. I just made mine with soy flour, white cornmeal eggs and flavor.
Posted By: Starless

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/04/09 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: eight1seven
having trouble finding SEMOLINA.. any help guys?

I've bought it at Sprouts I believe.

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/04/09 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: angler_josh
I had trouble finding it too, if you live near a whole foods store that may be a good place to look. I just made mine with soy flour, white cornmeal eggs and flavor.

Sorry josh Semolina is a WHEAT product but its more clean
It hardens the bait more it is used to make your own spaghetty
I realy like soy flour as an ingredient but its fatty this makes the boilie fluffy and sinds the milk powder has the same fat contend thats why i left it out!
Every ingredient has its own purpose in the bait besides the taste
There are atractor ingredients mainly for there taste
There are bulk ingredients to harden the bait but they dry the dough making it harder to work with
so you need fatty ingredients to make it easier to roll
This is why you need different ingredients
Food stores and bakery suppliers are always a good place to look and try buy big amounts its much cheaper
The fun part is variations of mixes are endless mine was just one to start with
Once you get the basic stuff right your making your own and making it better every time because you learn how the ingredients work BUT ITS ALL FUN
It sounds all very complecated but its not (not realy)

Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/04/09 12:08 PM

cream of wheat is a good semolina substitute

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/04/09 06:59 PM

Found some semolina flour at market street in Allen, im going to try to make some with it an see how it comes out.
Posted By: JRoberts

Re: Fresh Made Boilies! - 08/05/09 09:48 PM

I know this is abit off topic but, do any of you have experience with K-1 Maize? I ordered some mulberry and some juicy tutty fruity, I have done 2 sessions with it so far.. a long one and a short one.. the K-1 did not produce either time. all the carp I have had over 20# where all caught on homemade maize using a sweetcorn flavor. should I abandon the idea of buying maize online? I figured it would work better becouse of the methods used for cooking it. I have no pressure cooker so I just boil mine for about and hour and let it soak over night. I boil it with alot of salt and sugar in the water, then after soaking it I add the sweetcorn flavor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum