Texas Fishing Forum

How to catch Longnose Gar

Posted By: Budward

How to catch Longnose Gar - 07/15/22 09:36 PM

Here on Texoma we have some pretty big longnose gar, ive seen a few that are 4' long or so. My question is, how do you catch them? I have tried cutbait on the bottom like I have used for alligator gar but have had no luck. It seems like the only times we catch them are on accident when crappie fishing and they go after our minnows. I'd like to be able to go out on the lake and catch the big ones away from our dock where we actually have a chance of getting it in without tangling up with the dock.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: How to catch Longnose Gar - 07/16/22 12:27 PM

we used to take some 1/2" nylon rope and cut about 6-8" long, small wire about 1/3 of way back and fray out about 2/3.

run a short wire leader with loop on one end to tie to and stick it in the middle of rope, pull out and twist a couple of times around rope then back up to leader and 3-4 wraps (all this keeps it together and is your tie point).

spinning set up so you can cast, find em on surface and get after it. they bite it and you won't lose one, teeth get all tangled in the rope.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: How to catch Longnose Gar - 07/19/22 07:58 PM

I posted this same question for spotted/longnose gar.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14388491/spotted-gar-tactics#Post14388491
Posted By: Budward

Re: How to catch Longnose Gar - 07/19/22 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
we used to take some 1/2" nylon rope and cut about 6-8" long, small wire about 1/3 of way back and fray out about 2/3.

run a short wire leader with loop on one end to tie to and stick it in the middle of rope, pull out and twist a couple of times around rope then back up to leader and 3-4 wraps (all this keeps it together and is your tie point).

spinning set up so you can cast, find em on surface and get after it. they bite it and you won't lose one, teeth get all tangled in the rope.

I will try this, thank you.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: How to catch Longnose Gar - 07/21/22 12:00 AM

I’ve used the Rope method as well w some success, actually landing maybe 1/4 of the bites, though many bites are Spotted or Shortnose where I like to fish, so that may make a difference. . For me, It takes some time to let them chew on it so it gets tangled, if I set the rope lure right away like when getting a Bass bite I typically miss them, and many pull off thru the fight. The big ones are a blast, but getting the rope out of a bunch of small fish is a beating. Also recommend having a pair of gloves when handling them. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum