Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Emma Long - How is it Now?

Posted By: Texasartchick

Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/01/22 09:35 AM

Hello! I'm considering planning a carp/buffalo fishing trip to the Austin area during Spring Break, and would like to go back to Emma Long. However It's been about 15 years since I fished there, and I know it had a HUGE problem with weeds making the waters almost unfishable. Does anyone know what it's like fishing Emma Long now, and if the weeds have been reduced?

Thanks for any advice and/or information offered from anyone who's fished it recently! If Emma Long is still choked with water weeds I'll probably fish Lady Bird Lake instead.

Texasartchick
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/03/22 02:47 AM

It's a desert over there now. The State and the community overstocked Grass Carp in a big way and they've eaten all of the vegetation. The zebra mussel problem is one of the worst I've ever seen. Granted, there are still some good fish in there!
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/03/22 10:01 PM

Thx for the report TX Multi. Sounds like those Lake Austin grassers are the hardest working carp in Texas! ......and get about as much respect as Rodney Dangerfield.

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/04/22 06:04 AM

So Emma Long is no longer the home where the large buffalo roam? What about common carp?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/04/22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Texasartchick
So Emma Long is no longer the home where the large buffalo roam? What about common carp?

Both will still be there and may be easier to land without the weeds. You may end up catching a lot of grassers, as they will be hungry. Some of them will potentially be biggies.
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/04/22 03:26 PM

Thx for the help Curt! I'm not much help Texasartchick. My son and I used to fished Lake Austin religiously. when I lived there. Last time I caught any carp was almost 5 years ago in the spring, we did a 4 hour session one morning. and cpr'd 6 graassers and a baby common. The last grasser we measured out to 48" but we noticed many of the grassers were much thinner than in previous years. I have seen a few reports over the years at Emma and the grassers are getting even thinner looking in the last couple of years. Anyone reading this and not familiar with the grass carp may wan't to know that grassers in general can't stay out of the water as long as buff and common carp or they may die if released and end up floaters. We generally don't take the time to weigh them or else do it quickly. I've heard that their lifespan of these sterile grass carp is much shorter than common carp or smallmouth buffalo . and they will most likely be dying off in the near future at Lake Austin. I have heard of some good sessions for common carp and smallmouth buffalo a few years ago but have not seen any reports in the last year.

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/06/22 05:29 AM

Thanks for all the info, guys! I think I'm going to take a short trip there this Spring Break after all. I'll be sure to post a report here about the experience, assuming I can go.
Posted By: Brine

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/12/22 05:14 PM

Here's a post from my one and only trip to Emma 2 years ago 2020 New Years - Emma Long Park
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/13/22 01:08 AM

very nice outing Brine ! nice catches ! cheer
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/19/22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Texasartchick
Thanks for all the info, guys! I think I'm going to take a short trip there this Spring Break after all. I'll be sure to post a report here about the experience, assuming I can go.

Tight lines and wet nets!
Posted By: Brine

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 01/20/22 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by whiterockjesse
very nice outing Brine ! nice catches ! cheer

Thank you!
Posted By: agfisher02

Re: Lake Emma Long - How is it Now? - 02/11/22 07:26 PM

Have not been on here in a long time, but still fishing Lake Austin regularly. Spring break will tough at Emma with all the boat traffic. That said, the good carp/buffalo are still there. Mostly catching in the teens these days and farther up river.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum