Texas Fishing Forum

Carp Flies

Posted By: SteveBob

Carp Flies - 11/04/21 05:09 AM

These are from a "tie your own flies" course I am taking. They are called Mulberry Red/Purple. I am told carp love them. They are also supposed to make the same plop as if it were a real mulberry and look enough like the real fruity snack to a near sighted carp.

[Linked Image]

The four in the corners are the ones I tied and the one in the middle, was the pre-tied example fly that comes with the kit. I think I did pretty good. Any one here fly for carp? I'm just learning this new way (for me) to fish. I'd like to see your carp flies or any other warm water flies you use.

Hope ya like em

Steve Bob
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Carp Flies - 11/04/21 08:40 PM

They look mighty tasty! Great job tying them. I don't fly fish for them myself but I do know you can find a good bit of info here: https://americancarpsociety.com/flyfishing-for-carp
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Carp Flies - 11/05/21 02:19 AM

Those flies look good and should work.

I have caught hundreds of carp on a fly using many patterns and colors. Carp determine if an item is food by touching it or sucking it into their mouths. If the fly hits the outside of theirs mouth on the way in, then they may reject the fly. I like a round fly on a small strong hook in a floating or sinking pattern.

Here are my carp slayer flies and a typical catch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Carp Flies - 11/05/21 07:21 AM

Thanks folks, I appreciate the assistance. I tied a few more but added a little foam on the eye end for buoyancy and changed the colors up a bit. Also there are 6 winds of thin lead wire on the ones from yesterday to help them sink.

[Linked Image]

What material do you use on your flies? It looks like fur. I'll try to copy some of yours also. I have never caught anything larger than a 9 inch white bass so far on a fly. (true beginner) What weight gear do you use for a carp that size? I have a 5wt and two 7wt rods. I usually use my fly rods to catch bluegills for live or cut catfish bait and then I pull out the catfish rods and go catfishing. To me it's like going on two fishing trips in one. If that makes sense. But I cant wait to chase some carp in this manner. I know a spot where you can usually see them swimming up and down the creek from the bank.

Re: Carp Flies - 11/06/21 06:32 AM

These are all of the carp flies I have tied to this point.

[Linked Image]

Those added with the jigs, bugs, hoppers, poppers, gurglers, frogs, and whatzits I have tied since 1 October.(below)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Carp Flies - 11/08/21 04:02 AM

The flies are usually tied with elk or antelope hair. I use a 6/7 weight, 8’6” fly rod most of the time for carp. I have had them tear up 6 weights. roflmao
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Carp Flies - 11/23/21 12:17 AM

Awesome stuff I bought many flies but have yet to catch a single carp on one so far
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum