Texas Fishing Forum

Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA

Posted By: keith

Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA - 11/03/21 03:12 AM

Do any of you guys fish for tilapia? My family is checkin in Thursday at Martin creek, staying thru Sunday, and I'd really love to catch some tilapia, as well as everything else!. Got corn, peas, bread (wonder white and kings Hawaiian ) Also got wheaties and big red, 3 containers worms, 2lb shrimp, and 2 packs frozen calf liver. so ready to multitask species, but I sure would love to cook up tilapia i caught at the campsite!!!! Anyone ever catch them at Martin creek lake state park? or if you do somewhere else, can you yell me some tips and tricks? Its a power plant lake so current water temp 80°so they should be spawning. Also taking my 1000watt portable power station and bunch of green lights for lighted pier at night. Couple floating white ones. Fish should be patterned to their lights so when I put mine out, it should be good. I have lile 8 green lights, and two white. Anyone ever night fish out there?what's the bite like on that lighted pier? Species or what you experienced??? Gonna try to tear it up with my 4yr old during the day and hopefully have successful daddy catching at night! Any tips for that state park or on tilapia fishing would be very appreciated!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I will put your knowledge into action, or Ill wing it and prob get something bighting, but sure would love to catch my first tilapia and eat it!!!! Wish me luck!!!!

sincerely,

Keith the Wolfman
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA - 11/03/21 08:31 PM

I've never caught a Tilapia nor have I fished that lake, but it looks like a great lake in a gorgeous part of Texas!

Tilapia here in Texas are most commonly targeted by cast netters, but if you're trying for them on rod and reel I'm sure almost all of those baits will work. I've seen them caught on lures as well if that's something you'd like to try. Tight lines and wet nets!
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA - 11/05/21 02:42 AM

Tilapia will die at temperatures below 55 degrees, so tilapia will leave cold areas of the lake in the fall and winter. If you find them, worms are probably your best bait. I usually fish them on the bottom with just a small hook and split shot. A small piece of cut-bait will work on big fish. If they are on their beds, I have caught them on silver spoon with big treble hooks. They will attack the spoon and often get hooked.

Here are a few of the fish I have caught. They are really good to eat. Good luck and let us know how you do.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum