Texas Fishing Forum

Took my niece fishing for bluegill when...

Posted By: jippedgenes

Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/03/21 01:55 PM

She had her "frozen" kid's pole I gave her a few years ago for Xmas. I do not get to visit with her or my brother and his fam often so I make the best of our time as they live in NC. I put a little hook on and a berkley gulp maggot which seems to work pretty well and no need to have live bait. I was watching her bobber and casting a senko. I got skunked

She is 7 and was getting bored as nothing was biting. Her bobber drifted up against the pontoon of the little fishing dock and sat there. The bobber started moving and was pulled under the dock. I told her to set the hook. Next thing I knew the rod bent over and she was pulled up against the rails. (When we got the rod I put better line on it for her) She hung on and fought the fish well. Took her a minute or two to get it in where we could see it. I though it was gonna spin the guts out of her plastic reel but it held. I though catfish.

Got it to the top and low and behold it was a buffalo or carp, 99% sure buffalo right? I thought these guys were on the bottom?

A guy fishing with his kid came over to watch and had a net to help us out. As soon as he netted it, it thrashed and the hook bent and popped out. We got lucky. I bet she never forgets this trip for the rest of her life, I know I won't.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/03/21 04:01 PM

Awesome post and yes a "Lifetime Memory" that is PRICELESS ! thumb
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/04/21 02:27 AM

Smallmouth Buffalo for sure! Just like Carp and Catfish, Buffalo don't feed exclusively on the bottom and even feed on other fish occasionally! Awesome catch and story! No doubt she'll remember it forever.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/04/21 04:10 PM

What a cool trip and post! WTG uncle cheers
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/04/21 08:02 PM

That is too awesome!! No more bluegill fishing for her!!
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Took my niece fishing for bluegill when... - 10/05/21 01:37 AM

Great story and memories.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum