Texas Fishing Forum

Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing?

Posted By: JCSHEPHE

Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing? - 08/03/20 02:29 PM

When the water cools down, we like to bust out of wind socks and use santee cooper rigs to drift fish for blue cats.

I believe carp and buffalo, like a very still (non-moving) bait and wait approach? Anyone ever tried drifting for them?

We just like big fish, and if we use some hair rigs with strong floating boilies and good scent, I am wondering if that would work? I guess worst case scenario I could try it and if I dont get anything, no big loss.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing? - 08/03/20 03:17 PM

I doubt that drifting would be successful for carp or buffs. They are as a rule slow moving vacuum cleaners along the bottom. Of course, there are always exceptions. Buffs and carp both have been caught on artificial baits on rare occasions.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing? - 08/03/20 07:19 PM

Unlikely. Carp and buffs tend to be grazing feeders, not predatory feeders (though there is always an exception of catching one on a crank bait or something). Drifting boilies would probably just lead to more small channel cats than anything else.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing? - 08/04/20 03:28 PM

I have tried drifting for buffalo and carp with no success. I have found using two anchors greatly increases my hookup rate if I am in a boat, by stabilizing the bait, so drifting will probably only produce an occasional hookup. If you give it a try, let us know how you do and good luck.
Posted By: CoC Angler

Re: Can Carp/Buffalo be caught Drift Fishing? - 08/05/20 12:25 PM

while they will occasionally(rarely might be more accurate) chase down food, this is very unusual for both carp and buffalo (unless fishing in a river or creek). That being said, while drifting may not work, anchoring up in a boat could be quite successful depending on the circumstances.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum