Texas Fishing Forum

Educate me...

Posted By: T- Gil

Educate me... - 05/11/20 03:58 PM

Are these fish eating or is this spawning behavior? I really would like to catch some on a fly, but I will mix up some bait if I have to! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, not going to be able to tell much from stills, but couldn't figure out how to upload video without hosting someplace else.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Educate me... - 05/11/20 04:04 PM

Very likely spawning behavior. I have had zero luck catching when they are actively spawning. I have caught them while they are staging for the spawn and post spawn.

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 12:12 PM

Well, spawning or not, my daughter caught her first carp last night, followed by another, then a cat and another carp! The girl is hooked! As we were leaving, she asked "Why have never fished for carp before?" grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 01:21 PM

Well done. Those were probably staging and getting ready to come in to spawn. She apparently had a good time. thumb

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 02:09 PM

We saw one hanging out that was probably 20lbs or more. When I took the original pics, several days ago, there were 2 or 3 in that size range. Are those likely females? Are carp like other species were the males are usually smaller?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 02:14 PM

If there are 20 pounders out there, then give this a try.

https://youtu.be/4HJNrljkWGI

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 04:03 PM

From what I just read, males and females are generally the same size for the 1st 5 to 6 years. The females then grow faster and bigger than the males.

Re: Educate me... - 05/12/20 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info. We will have to give this a try. My pb Buffalo was high 20's, low 30's. It was 20+ years ago. I can't seem to find a pic of it. I keep thinking "surely I would've taken a pic of that?", but maybe I didn't. Digital sure has made archiving these such things easier!
Note to self: put scale in gear bag!
Thanks again!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Educate me... - 05/13/20 03:46 PM

Kids love carp fishing. They will never fish for perch again!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Educate me... - 05/13/20 07:34 PM

Love the smile.
They will always dream of the big ones but just love to catch fish.
Great job.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Educate me... - 05/14/20 08:58 PM

Your daughter did great! clap
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Educate me... - 05/24/20 05:37 PM

great fishing spawning for sure
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Educate me... - 05/25/20 03:07 PM

Beautiful pictures man! Well done.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum