Texas Fishing Forum

How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure

Posted By: Tyler G

How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/17/20 01:46 PM

New video is up. It's an easy how-to for anyone interested in giving lure fishing for longnose gar a shot (though I'm sure you veterans among us are familiar with the concept already). Absolutely love this method of fishing for them, and I'll definitely be breaking out my lures this season whenever I'm not chasing big gator gar. Enjoy!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/17/20 08:53 PM

Good stuff! cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/18/20 02:26 PM

Nicely done. woot
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/18/20 11:09 PM

I used to make gar lures out of plastic coated nylon clothes line cord. Cut a length, strip plastic coating from a couple of inches and tie a good tight knot. Then leave an inch of plastic and strip the rest from the long end. We would simply run a hook just behind the knot and cast it out. The nylon was already loose and would look real good swimming thru the water. Worked real good on needle nose gar, they would get their teeth wrapped up in the nylon and would actually tie them selves on. Lure was only good for one fish.
Posted By: slopez

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/20/20 03:38 AM

Do you think soaking the last inch or so in fish blood would entice them more? Maybe chum a little?
Posted By: Tyler G

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 04/20/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by slopez
Do you think soaking the last inch or so in fish blood would entice them more? Maybe chum a little?

I’m not sure how much they hunt by smell. They seem like largely visual predators. However, I don’t think it’d hurt to try.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: How To Make a Hookless Gar Lure - 05/15/20 03:33 PM

Nice video!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum