Spring break

Posted By: garbow

Spring break - 03/17/20 01:11 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 02:49 AM

Do you guys consume the Gar ? My son like to catch them and keeps wanting to try them but have heard mixed reviews on the meat being tough to cook with out ruining it .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 03:20 AM

Nice fish. "Lifetime Memories"! thumb
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 03:43 AM

My 12 y.o. is jealous.So am I.

Nice fish.

sb

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 01:31 PM

Yes sir’s we do eat gar. 40-60lbs are best . Lot less fat in meat . We use a hammer and hatchet go down back just under scales to tail use axe to cut tail off and bleed out first . After splitting back up by front fin cut in between scales to belly both sides . Then you can cut hide back to get at backstraps cut out just like a deer . Clean off all darkmeat and red meat until it’s nice white and clean ! Then we cut into 1/4” thick steaks. Egg/milk wash batter with ground up original saltine crackers 1-1 1box to 1cup flour. Fry until golden brown.. enjoy!!
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by garbow
Yes sir’s we do eat gar. 40-60lbs are best . Lot less fat in meat . We use a hammer and hatchet go down back just under scales to tail use axe to cut tail off and bleed out first . After splitting back up by front fin cut in between scales to belly both sides . Then you can cut hide back to get at backstraps cut out just like a deer . Clean off all darkmeat and red meat until it’s nice white and clean ! Then we cut into 1/4” thick steaks. Egg/milk wash batter with ground up original saltine crackers 1-1 1box to 1cup flour. Fry until golden brown.. enjoy!!

Thank you . I was wondering if they had dark or red meat and if it should be avoided and you answered those questions . Thanks .

Re: Spring break - 03/17/20 02:19 PM

Yes sir just happy for coins can help !! Good luck !!
Posted By: ejj005

Re: Spring break - 04/13/20 12:57 AM

Never tried eating them but I know a lot of people say they are pretty good.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Spring break - 04/13/20 01:19 PM

Awesome Spring Break! Nice fish. woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum