Texas Fishing Forum

Chum Carp question?

Posted By: HumanSeine

Chum Carp question? - 10/26/19 10:04 AM

Ok when i was young you could buy cottonseed cake and use it to bring carp to your fishing hole. I cannot find cottonseed cake to buy. So is there ather products i can use. I use range cubes for catfish and i realize those have cottonseed in them. I go to feed stires and asj for cottonseed cake and they show ne cubes. I had one guy say he cannot get thd cake which looks like particle board. Yes i have seen some online but it aint cheap.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/26/19 11:37 AM

All I use are the range cubes. They work on carp and catfish. I have not seen cotton seed cakes in decades.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/26/19 12:59 PM

At least you know wh as t hhe cakes are. I ise cubes every week snd catch loafs of catfish but no carp i msy start u ssd ing ssd ome carp b as it and see what happens.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/26/19 02:27 PM

You can still get cotton seed cubes in some places, have to call around and they are pricey.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/26/19 09:51 PM

Canned corn is good chum for both carp and catfish. You can also use it as bait.
Posted By: kaboboom

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/27/19 11:23 AM

My wife makes me 2 pounds (dry) boiled deer corn in a couple of hours with her Instapot. I cut it in thirds per session, throw most out the day before, then use the corn on my hair rigs and mushed into my pack bait. A $7 40 # bag last a long time. Catfish, carp, and buffalo all seem to like it. My fishing "events" are usually 3 consecutive days.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/27/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kaboboom
My wife makes me 2 pounds (dry) boiled deer corn in a couple of hours with her Instapot. I cut it in thirds per session, throw most out the day before, then use the corn on my hair rigs and mushed into my pack bait. A $7 40 # bag last a long time. Catfish, carp, and buffalo all seem to like it. My fishing "events" are usually 3 consecutive days.

Your wife may already be doing this, but consider adding flavoring to the corn during the process. I add at least a couple of packets of strawberry kool aid. I have added cheap vanilla extract at times, and sometimes both at the same time.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/27/19 09:03 PM

Range cubes and regular can corn have worked for me. thumb
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/28/19 09:33 PM

I like to fill a Ziploc freezer bag of quick oats then pour in 2 cans of cream corn. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. When I go fishing I will ball up the mixture to the size of a golf ball or baseball and throw it out. The dough mixture will breakdown slowly in the water attracting carp.
Posted By: kaboboom

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/28/19 11:15 PM

I actually quit using Jello in my pack bait as I now use the liquid left over from the boiled corn....it sets up like pudding when cooled. But I'll put Jello in the Instapot if the wife doesn't mind.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Chum Carp question? - 10/29/19 04:44 PM

The secret is to chum in an area the fish already use. You can draw fish to almost any part of the lake with regular chumming, but it is much easier to move the fish a few yards. I use range cubes and dog food to chum. The dog food will float and can give you an idea of what fish are in the area. The range cubes will draw in carp and will also draw in bait fish. And as Kaboboom indicated, chumming for 3 days is a great idea.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum