Texas Fishing Forum

big red recipes

Posted By: silvers

big red recipes - 04/23/19 05:56 PM

do yall have one? taking some kids out and want some nonstop action for them
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: big red recipes - 04/23/19 08:20 PM

I assume you're talking about dough bait? If you're wanting nonstop action I'd bait a spot with a few pounds of sweetcorn every day for 3 days, then come back with your rods rigged up with sweetcorn on a hair rig and for even better results some packbait around your weight.

Here's a good video that covers all the info you'll need:
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: big red recipes - 04/23/19 11:35 PM

There obviously is no "non stop action bait". Pre-baiting as mentioned is the best way to go. A simple big red recipe would include wheaties and bread crumbs. Just mix the big red in very gradually until you get the consistency that you want to stay on a hook. If you add too much big red, mix the bread crumbs in to absorb the extra moisture.

Sweet corn is much better if pre-baited. With sweet corn you can use the preferred single hook vs a treble that may damage the fish more. Good luck.
Posted By: Fishingnerd23

Re: big red recipes - 05/31/19 01:19 AM

masica, big red, sweet corn
all these over 20# in les than 3 hours
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tommar

Re: big red recipes - 06/01/19 03:18 AM

Great job there!
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: big red recipes - 06/01/19 12:11 PM

popcorn
Posted By: kaboboom

Re: big red recipes - 06/02/19 04:10 PM

I realize this isn't the "how I bait" running thread, but I thought I'd share something. My wife cooks about 2 lbs. of deer corn (2 hours) for me in her Instapot, and pours me off the liquor in a glass stoppered bottle. I use this (it sets up like Jello) with quick oats, generic Fruit Loops, and some vanilla...no added water. It's pretty sticky, and I mash in some of the corn before I cover a one ounce flat sinker as pack bait. I'm just dropping it straight down so I can't tell you how it would hold up to a hard cast in a method feeder. From this morning...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CoC Angler

Re: big red recipes - 06/18/19 09:05 PM

paste baits are fun to experiment with
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: big red recipes - 07/01/19 02:36 AM

So what do ya'll do with these Carp?
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: big red recipes - 07/01/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
So what do ya'll do with these Carp?

Catch, photo, and release!