Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney carp

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Whitney carp - 04/02/19 01:41 AM

has anyone noticed carp moving up shallow in whitney? planning on taking a trip up there soon.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Whitney carp - 04/02/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by AvidOutdoors7
Iv started bowfishing recently (lots of fun) I am not a fan of leaving them on the bank, so keep what I shoot. Usually get gar and have heard that they are good eating. I also get carp from time to time. Does anyone have any recipes for gar or carp to share? food

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12491389/recipes#Post12491389

I appreciate that you keep them and while there's no way to stop you all I can ask is that you don't kill the giants. If you want to learn to catch them on rod and reel I'd be happy to share info, don't have to keep them when you can release them in good health!

Re: Whitney carp - 04/02/19 02:25 AM

I'm actually going to be fly fishing for them... and yes I'm releasing. Found that cleaning these guys are tough lol. I'm done with that.

Re: Whitney carp - 04/02/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by AvidOutdoors7
I'm actually going to be fly fishing for them... and yes I'm releasing. Found that cleaning these guys are tough lol. I'm done with that.

shocked
Good to know, can never be too careful lol. Us carp guys go to great lengths to care for the fish and sharing info with people interested in killing them isn't exactly something we like to do. They should be moving in for the spawn here shortly, don't have any firsthand info though.

Re: Whitney carp - 04/02/19 02:33 AM

Dunno if you've seen them, but there's lots of carp on the fly info in these magazines: Carp Pro Magazine

Good luck out there!

Re: Whitney carp - 04/02/19 05:57 PM

Lol, thank you! I caught one only about 9lbs on the fly last fall and since then have wanted to feel a real giant on that little rod.
Posted By: topherdel

Re: Whitney carp - 04/03/19 12:12 AM

They are definitely on the move. Just about everywhere I fished there were carp in the creeks and coves. They were driving me nuts.

Re: Whitney carp - 04/03/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by topherdel
They are definitely on the move. Just about everywhere I fished there were carp in the creeks and coves. They were driving me nuts.

Catch a few and it'll change your mind completely! So many guys go from being bass or catfishermen, catch some carp and get totally addicted.

Re: Whitney carp - 04/04/19 11:20 PM

I know! After that one small one I was done shooting them lol
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Whitney carp - 04/20/19 03:27 AM

They are definitely up shallow at Whitney! We took a nice boat load, over 1500# in less than 4 hours. They were so shallow their back fins were out of the water. I'm not sure if they are interested in feeding right now, they were up to other things. Biggest buff was over 40#s and we had several gar over 4'. Good luck!
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Whitney carp - 04/22/19 01:44 PM

If they are spawning, they arent interested in Eating.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Whitney carp - 04/23/19 01:44 AM

Nope, you're right. But we still caught 'em. So to speak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum