Texas Fishing Forum

Question of gar hook sets

Posted By: spazm09

Question of gar hook sets - 07/24/18 07:06 PM

It's my understanding that gar tend to swim away with their prey before they eat so I've heard that gar fisherman usually wait a few minutes trying for a hook set. I've seen videos where people on kayaks followed their float for a few minutes to not disturb the fish before setting the hook. Do I have that right?

Now on to my question. What do yall do when bank fishing for gar? Do you leave the spool open to let the gar take out line freely? If you do and use bait casters, does that ever cause a bird nest if they pull too quickly?

I don't target gar, but I come across them a lot when catfishing. Would love to catch a big one so if I can increase my hook set percentage, I want to do that. But only if it doesn't interfere with my catfishing hooks sets.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 07/24/18 07:21 PM

Open spool to let them carry the bait away for a minute, sometimes more. If you use a bait caster, put your thumb on the spool lightly. Most gar that I have hooked up with do not pull fast enough to create a birds nest. It is after the hook set when you hang on. I use circle hooks for everything. For spotted gar I will use a big circle hook with a piece of frayed rope tied to the shaft. That way the rope will be up against my bait. When the spot swims off with the bait, most of the time they will get tangled in the rope. After a few spins, they will be on for good.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 08/11/18 10:25 AM

With Alligator Gar you basically want to wait till they stop moving, count to 30 (give or take) and set the hook. You'll miss some once in a while, but that's expected with AGar fishing. All other Gar, like JJ said, put some nylon on a hook and apply steady pressure until they snag themselves.
Posted By: pineywoods

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 08/21/18 12:56 PM

I don't use hooks except to hold the bait. I use a lariat (noose) made of piano wire. It cinches around the upper bill and the teeth won't let it slide off. Never miss a hook up with it and it doesn't injure the fish.
Posted By: Franck

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 09/11/18 01:46 PM

For alligator gar bank fishing is hit and miss as sometime you have to follow them for 1/2 mile or more until they stop to eat it. Probably works the best in an open area. I seem to have better hook rate from a boat and wait for what seem to be an eternity sometime.
Posted By: tosavaN

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 09/11/18 01:57 PM

ill have a bait alarm on but i use crazy sharp hooks and try to get a jaw set... ill let them run about 15 seconds to make sure its not holding just the tail... never liked the idea of hooking them in the gut kinda messed up.
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Question of gar hook sets - 09/19/18 02:05 PM

i usually hook them after they swim for a little and stop usually a couple seconds set the hook
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum