Texas Fishing Forum

Can I string carp up like bass?

Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Can I string carp up like bass? - 05/18/18 02:39 AM

I started stringing bass and crappie by puncturing the bottom of the lip as this should keep them alive a lot longer than going through the gills.

Can I safely string a carp by going under the lips or would it cause them to rip their lips off?
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Can I string carp up like bass? - 05/18/18 04:08 AM

I've seen people do it, but you can also get a keepnet to store the fish in, it's designed to keep them in the best condition to release at the end of fishing, but of course you could use it to create less stress on the fish to make them tastier for the table as well. In keeping carp, I'd recommend that you only keep the ones that are 10lb and below, they'll taste better and have less heavy metals in their meat which could be dangerous if consumed.
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: Can I string carp up like bass? - 05/18/18 05:08 AM

the ones i get i have been putting in a cooler. it supposed to make the taste better.

i'm fishing at cedar hill state park if you know some spots.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Can I string carp up like bass? - 05/18/18 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Daniel Mtanous
the ones i get i have been putting in a cooler. it supposed to make the taste better.

i'm fishing at cedar hill state park if you know some spots.

Never fished Joe Pool outside of the Lynn Creek Marina very briefly, so I wouldn't know exactly where to go. Try a windblown bank!
Posted By: FW Carper

Re: Can I string carp up like bass? - 08/14/18 06:18 PM

I'm left to believe that since you're putting them on a stringer, you're going to eat them, so I think you may be defeating your purpose.

If you're going to eat them, I have read that you need to bleed them and put them on ice ASAP.

Also, if you eat them, I would love to hear some feedback on recipes and prep tips. food
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Can I string carp up like bass? - 08/16/18 03:54 PM

When I need to keep my fish oh a string (and fish is not small so I can not use snap locks), I'm using shoe strings. String goes through the gills (both sides), and I tie this loop right outside the mouth so that the fish can breath. The loop goes on a string. String should be long enough to let it go deep, 10' - 15'. In this case if you will change your mind on keeping it, you will release fish healthy. But remember: it is CARP, so if you'll keep him loose, the whole stringer will be gone smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum