Texas Fishing Forum

Longnose Gar on Beetlespin

Posted By: KayakGreaser

Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/12/18 10:55 AM

*** First post on this site, please let me know if I break any rules or anything smile ***

Has anyone ever caught any Gar on a bettlespin? I was fishing the Colorado for bass and ended up hooking a (~4lb?) Longnose, which I didn't think they would hit lures like so. I would assume it hooked him he was going for the spinner and as he opened his jaw it caught him below, but I'm not sure. Awesome fight for a smaller one, and my first gar ever caught. Might get into actually trying to catch them now laugh

If it helps there was a school of them around this size feeding close by, due to flood debris, on the slower area of the river creating a great feeding ground, and there was a sizeable weather front coming in that day. Glad it was on my 20lb braid, hah. Not the best pictures but not bad considering how much I was shaking in amazement. woot

Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/12/18 11:29 AM

Good post good fish congratulations on your first gar I personally have caught them on cut bait nylon rope hula poppers big saltwater plugs swimbaits and wormsrockon
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/12/18 11:30 AM

And welcome to the TFF hope to see more posts
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/12/18 11:47 AM

welcome To the TFF! Congratulations on your first gar. I have caught them on a Silver Rattle Trap and a small crank bait! Cut bait works the best. woot
Posted By: KayakGreaser

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/12/18 03:00 PM

Nice, cool to hear about other random lure catches, pretty neat smile and yeah, I'll be looking around and posting some experiences in the near future, good catches permitting hah.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/13/18 04:14 AM

welcome to the TFF! Nice post. Looking forward to reading more! thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Longnose Gar on Beetlespin - 05/16/18 02:30 AM

Awesome post and welcome to the TFF
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum