Texas Fishing Forum

Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW?

Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 08:40 PM

I've been calling around to a few feed stores and been to a couple myself, and have yet to find any "old-fashioned" type oats in 40-50lb bags. They typically only have whole oats or something very similar, if anything at all. I'd really appreciate anyone directing me to this, as oats are perhaps the most expensive part of my mix, next to panko.

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 08:47 PM

This is the only kind I could find. Claims to be "steam rolled," but hardly looks rolled at all. Bought it thinking it'd be the right stuff... nope! I guess I'll just give it to my grandparents to be chicken feed.
Posted By: sae

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 09:26 PM

Those do not look like the steamed rolled oats we sold to horsemen. You might try buying rolled oats in bulk
from a resturant supply .
Posted By: Cast

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 09:29 PM

Amazon has steel cut and thick steamed oats.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 10:27 PM

Don't get the steel cut. Its not what you want. If you are wanting the oats to use in a bait ball, the steel cut will not bind like you need.

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Curt0407
Don't get the steel cut. Its not what you want. If you are wanting the oats to use in a bait ball, the steel cut will not bind like you need.

Thanks, I use it as a base for my packbait, so I definitely want it to mold around the lead correctly. Right now I'm stuck using Quaker Oats from the supermarket, which work great but are a bit expensive.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/27/18 11:52 PM

I use the store bought too.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/28/18 01:59 PM

Sometimes sprouts has stone rolled organic oats on sale for $1 a pound in a massive 3 foot high barrel. Not the easiest option for you I'm sure but can definitely be a backup.

Eric
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/28/18 02:52 PM

Isn't it $7.99 for 10 lb box @Costco?
Hard to beat that price.
What you are looking is this:
source

But I could not find it. Some mention the price close to $17 per bag(!), but closest I could buy was around $40 + $50(!!!) S/H
Makes Costco the best choice.
Posted By: sae

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/28/18 03:05 PM

Good info, thank's all.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/28/18 04:06 PM

Ya know, oats at the feed store are the same as Quakers.

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/28/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Sometimes sprouts has stone rolled organic oats on sale for $1 a pound in a massive 3 foot high barrel. Not the easiest option for you I'm sure but can definitely be a backup.

Eric

Sure could, but it's not cheaper than the Costco oats recommended to me below. I may just try it, though!

Originally Posted By: MinMirny
Isn't it $7.99 for 10 lb box @Costco?
Hard to beat that price.
What you are looking is this:
source

But I could not find it. Some mention the price close to $17 per bag(!), but closest I could buy was around $40 + $50(!!!) S/H
Makes Costco the best choice.

I hadn't even considered Costco/Sam's. I may have to get a membership just for carp fishing. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Cast
Ya know, oats at the feed store are the same as Quakers.

Depends on the feed store, the ones I went to only had one kind and that was the wrong one. I'm just trying to buy in bulk as it's typically cheaper.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 03/29/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
I've been calling around to a few feed stores and been to a couple myself, and have yet to find any "old-fashioned" type oats in 40-50lb bags. They typically only have whole oats or something very similar, if anything at all. I'd really appreciate anyone directing me to this, as oats are perhaps the most expensive part of my mix, next to panko.

Call some of the feed co-ops...outside the metromess, in your area...ask them if they have a sack of whole oats...for feed purposes...cracked oats might serve your purposes better...where they take whole oats and run them through a press, sort of releases the flavor and makes it easier to digest/ work into your mixture...or you can go to a dairy and beg them to sell you some of theirs...it’s what I would do... 2cents
Posted By: Jef Nguyen

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/09/18 03:14 PM

Go to WinCo, if there is one near you. They sell it by the pound in the bulk food section. Last time I bought some, I think it was .59 to .69 per pound.
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/10/18 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Jef Nguyen
Go to WinCo, if there is one near you. They sell it by the pound in the bulk food section. Last time I bought some, I think it was .59 to .69 per pound.
you can also buy it in 25 lb bags ... about 16 bucks and change last time i got a bag . they also have panko in 20 lb bags but that is much higher price wise

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/10/18 09:55 AM

on a side note .Aldis sells the same size tub as does Wallys for 2.39 . cream corn is 48cents there too while there i also get grits and paprika and cinnamon at very low prices

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/10/18 10:00 AM

Save Alot used to be a good source for oats 2.49 there but it recently closed down ,dont know if other strs in metroplex still are running
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/11/18 12:18 AM

You can get bulk at Winco ....
Not the big bags, but bulk; less than $1.50 a pound as I recall.

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/11/18 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

Call some of the feed co-ops...outside the metromess, in your area...ask them if they have a sack of whole oats...for feed purposes...cracked oats might serve your purposes better...where they take whole oats and run them through a press, sort of releases the flavor and makes it easier to digest/ work into your mixture...or you can go to a dairy and beg them to sell you some of theirs...it’s what I would do... 2cents

I might just have to do that... Been almost everywhere and all they sell are the barely rolled oats like I've bought before.

There isn't one too far away, I'll definitely check it out. Normally I get it for ~$1/lb, so that would be worth it.

Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
you can also buy it in 25 lb bags ... about 16 bucks and change last time i got a bag . they also have panko in 20 lb bags but that is much higher price wise

If I can find one, I'll be picking up that 25lb bag. I may have to look at that panko as well, if it's cheaper than $4.50-5.00/kilo than I'm going to become quite the regular customer at WinCo.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/11/18 03:38 PM

I always goto tractor supply and buy a 50# bag of rolled oats for $12-15 50#s lasts me a good while

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/11/18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
I always goto tractor supply and buy a 50# bag of rolled oats for $12-15 50#s lasts me a good while

The one I bought at Tractor Supply looked the same as this:

It was a shame, online it looked just like the old fashioned oats.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/11/18 06:24 PM

Yeah Some bags are "smushed" more than others bang

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/13/18 02:18 AM

https://www.wincofoods.com/shop#/product/167928

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/13/18 02:19 AM

cash or debit only accepted at winco

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/13/18 02:20 AM

https://www.wincofoods.com/shop#/product/167642

Re: Where to Find Bulk "Old-Fashioned" Oats in/near DFW? - 04/13/18 02:30 AM

That's quite a bit cheaper! Thanks, Jesse!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum