Texas Fishing Forum

Carp Regulations in Connecticut!

Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 03:42 AM

Common Carp are finally getting noticed as a desirable species here in the states! Connecticut just passed some new regulations making the daily bag for carp 5 with only one above 30 inches, and designated "trophy waters" for carp where the daily bag is one with a 26 inch maximum.

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fu...mp;ParentCat=19
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 04:33 AM

Lady Bird Lake in Austin has a one Carp per day over 33 inches! No bag limit for fish under 33 inches. thumb

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Lady Bird Lake in Austin has a one Carp per day over 33 inches! No bag limit for fish under 33 inches. thumb

Wish stuff like that was more common here in Texas... But LBL was a start!

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Not to mention, Lady Bird only has regulations for Common Carp, no regulations for Buffalo. Strange, as Carp are introduced and Buffalo are native.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Yes Sir it's a start! Carp are truly an AWESOME FIGHTING fish! cheers
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/01/18 03:24 PM

Yes friends, time is coming when carp will be widely accepted as what it really is: the best sport fish! smile
So good to hear news like this banana clap woot
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/05/18 03:53 AM

Like you guys care about managing a resource. I would like to see every one of you keep five fish under ten pounds every time you go out. Let everything over ten pounds go.

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/05/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MinMirny
Yes friends, time is coming when carp will be widely accepted as what it really is: the best sport fish! smile
So good to hear news like this banana clap woot

Dream on not even close.

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/05/18 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
Like you guys care about managing a resource. I would like to see every one of you keep five fish under ten pounds every time you go out. Let everything over ten pounds go.

I'd love to, but I don't eat fish. Exclusively catch and release for me! It's really a mess right now, with the little ones being released and the big ones bow hunted. Regulations would likely take care of that, or at least help. Unfortunately, you'll always have people who take home/kill a trophy.

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/06/18 11:19 PM

You just don't get it do you, if you don't manage the resource somebody will and right now bowfisherman are all we have. And they shoot the small ones too. I could see petitioning TPWD for commercial carp fishing in some Texas lakes. And for some reason you think there aren't plenty of large carp? Trophy's awash in Whitney.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/06/18 11:42 PM

It might be that you don't get it. A very high majority of the folks following this section are catch and release carp anglers. Common carp were introduced into US waters over 100 yrs ago. If they were a high impact fish, the impact would likely have been felt by now, and the lakes and rivers seem to be doing just fine.

Granted there are other types of carp that are very troublesome, including the prolific Asian carp. I would venture that the folks that fish for common carp would welcome control measures for the destructive and invasive other types of carp.

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/07/18 01:18 AM

No it's you and your catch and release carpers that are clueless! An over population of any species is a detriment. The impact of carp on lakes is felt already and if you can't see it you are flat out blind. Manage the resource, stop with the holier than thow your so cool catch and release BS and start harvesting fish under ten pounds. If carp are such wonderful fish then why is this too much to ask?
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/07/18 02:35 PM

Great discussion going on here! I do not target Carp and would love to see anglers do their part in preserving a good healthy fish population and to keep our waters CLEAN!

Side Note: I am always open to keeping smaller fish and have always let the trophy fish go! That is with all species of fish!
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Carp Regulations in Connecticut! - 03/07/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
No it's you and your catch and release carpers that are clueless! An over population of any species is a detriment. The impact of carp on lakes is felt already and if you can't see it you are flat out blind. Manage the resource, stop with the holier than thow your so cool catch and release BS and start harvesting fish under ten pounds. If carp are such wonderful fish then why is this too much to ask?

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum