Texas Fishing Forum

SNAKE

Posted By: searay

SNAKE - 05/21/14 09:24 PM

I ran across this guy today, not sure what kind it is. I have heard lots of thoughts but still not sure.

Posted By: throwback

Re: SNAKE - 05/21/14 09:27 PM

Hog nose. It will also roll over and play dead (possum). Non-poisonous but can stink up a storm.

When threatened, hognose snakes will flatten their necks and raise their heads off the ground, like a cobra, and hiss. They may sometimes feign strikes, though they will almost never bite unless one were to smell like their prey. This behavior has earned them several nicknames, such as "puff adder", "blowing adder", "flathead", "spreadhead", "spreading adder" or "hissing adder". Note, though, the nickname "puff adder" is only a nickname, and is not scientifically correct. There is a highly venomous viper from Africa called the puff adder, Bitis arietans.

If this threat display does not work to deter a would-be predator, hognose snakes will often roll onto their back and play dead, going so far as to emit a foul musk and fecal matter from their cloaca and let their tongue hang out of their mouth, sometimes accompanied by small droplets of blood. If they are rolled upright while in this state, they will often roll back as if insisting they really are dead. It has been observed that the snake, while appearing to be dead, will still watch the threat that caused the death pose. The snake will 'resurrect' sooner if the threat is looking away from it than if the threat is looking at the snake.[1] Hognose snakes are not easily angered however and one would have to be deliberately irking them to provoke a reaction. They are rather timid snakes and will often hide from predators by burrowing down into leaves, sand etc
Posted By: searay

Re: SNAKE - 05/21/14 09:33 PM

Cool, it worked on me. When he turned around and hissed at me I left him alone...
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: SNAKE - 05/21/14 09:34 PM

Eastern hognose snake, only seen one other in my life.
very cool pics!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: SNAKE - 05/21/14 09:57 PM

coolphotos Thanks for sharing! cheers

Side Note: It's that time of year. Watch your step! eeks
Posted By: crapicat

Re: SNAKE - 05/21/14 10:04 PM

I have to say that is the biggest one I have ever seen! I used to see them in E Texas, as a kid, and would mess with them through all the stages, them let them go on their way.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: SNAKE - 05/22/14 12:44 AM

They are all cobras.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: SNAKE - 05/24/14 10:06 PM

Hog nose for sure!! Cool find
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: SNAKE - 05/25/14 12:19 AM

What is a cloaca?

Dude, you need rain. Look at those cracks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum