Texas Fishing Forum

Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole

Posted By: refidnasb

Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 06/30/13 09:57 PM

Had the chance to go out onto a body of water just about everyone has forgotten about, Five Mile Creek in Oak Cliff, part of Dallas, Texas. Big limestone cliffs, lots of 8 foot+ deep pools, loaded with fish the whole way. Lots of sunfish and the deeper pools most likely have a bunch of bass and catfish too.

Pretty sure no one fishes it. Maybe 40-50 years ago they did. Two guys I went with fished the creek in the early 1950s as kids. So for them it was like going home to their old fishing ground.

\

Lots of colorful fish in there. Since this is breeding season for Sunfish and Minnows, the males all look like tropical fish.

Some places the water was really cool and we could feel the underground springs piping in cold water to the creek.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 06/30/13 10:49 PM

Nice video.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 06/30/13 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck7700
Nice video.

Plus #1.
Posted By: catfish

Re: Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 07/02/13 03:02 AM

Well, if there is a bass in there he's got plenty to eat.
Posted By: Findanothername1

Re: Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 07/03/13 08:47 AM

What part do you fish?
Posted By: refidnasb

Re: Five Mile Creek in Dallas a forgotten fishing hole - 07/03/13 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Master-baiter
What part do you fish?

The western sections seem to hold the better fishing spots, west of I-35. East of I-35 the creek was channelized in the 1960s-1970s and the fishing is not so great.

Upstream though, there are some great holes, better than White Rock Creek in North Dallas for sure.

Access is easy too since there are not any golf courses around and there is a small greenbelt park that extends along the banks for a good portion of it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum