Texas Fishing Forum

Dad's State Championships

Posted By: PerchTrout

Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 02:38 PM

My dad has been a high school football coach in Texas going on 29 years now. He won a Texas State Championship in 2000 as an offensive coordinator at Sonora High School. This past season he won his second Texas State Championship as an OC at Refugio High School. I am in my 2nd year coaching and I am real proud of my pops. Lots of time spent talking football and fishing.

By the way...alot of his gameplanning is done right on Copano Bay wink

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 02:39 PM

Posted By: I AM LEGEND!

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 03:01 PM

That is AWESOME! Some of us coach a life time in HS athletics & never get a chance to coach for one let alone win 2. Congrats!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 03:29 PM

That is a lot to be proud of. cheers Hard Work and Dedication pays off. thumb

Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 03:56 PM

Very cool! Faith, Family, Fishing, and Football nothing else compares thumb

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PerchTrout
My dad has been a high school football coach in Texas going on 29 years now. He won a Texas State Championship in 2000 as an offensive coordinator at Sonora High School. This past season he won his second Texas State Championship as an OC at Refugio High School. I am in my 2nd year coaching and I am real proud of my pops. Lots of time spent talking football and fishing.

By the way...alot of his gameplanning is done right on Copano Bay wink

I played against that 2000 sonora team.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 04:19 PM

Really? Where did you play your high school ball? I was just a 7th grader then, but if you were from around west Texas then I might have played your alma mater.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 04:26 PM

I also should of posted this too...I don't know if alot of championship teams do this or not, but I think it is cool that there was so much thought to make the amount and color of the stones significant...

There are 25 stones on the Sonora ring...15 red (which makes the "S", because the varsity football team was 15-0. There are 25 total stones (red and white) because the high school as a whole (varsity and JV) were undefeated at 25-0.

There 41 total stones on the Refugio ring because the Refugio football program was 41-0 as a whole...undefeated on every level. 15-0 on varsity, 10-0 on JV, 8-0 with the 8th graders, and 8-0 with the 7th graders.

Posted By: jwalts

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 07:55 PM

Sweet!! I Coach at stamford and we played mason in the 1A state championship this year. Congratulate him on a awsome season and good luck to the both of yall in the future

Joe walts

Posted By: Leever

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 08:09 PM

Very cool. Congrats to your dad for the many years of dedication to HS football.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/07/12 08:57 PM

Stamford huh? I saw y'all up close and personal this season. I was the head coach at Anson. Now am the OC at Columbus. Heck of a season you guys had. Plenty of talent with the under classmen too! Good luck!

Posted By: engine1129

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/08/12 12:19 PM

my son went to school with the hawthorne kid that was on the refugio state championship team...congrats to your dad

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/08/12 02:54 PM

Really? Where did you play your high school ball? I was just a 7th grader then, but if you were from around west Texas then I might have played your alma mater.

Reagan County

Posted By: jwalts

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/08/12 03:02 PM

thanks PerchTrout and good luck at Columbus.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/08/12 04:02 PM

Appreciate it, Coach.

Big Lake was pretty good that year! Didn't Sonora and RC play twice that year?

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/08/12 06:02 PM

Appreciate it, Coach.

Big Lake was pretty good that year! Didn't Sonora and RC play twice that year?

No, that was the year before, played regular season and playoff game in San Angelo. We played Ozona in 2000.

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/09/12 01:56 PM

Congrats to your dad. Was the Refugio team the one that had the controversy of people saying they were running the score up?

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/09/12 02:33 PM

Yes that was them. They broke and set the Texas state record for points scored in a season this year with 891. They were 12 points off the national record.

My dad's first two years there they finished with a 13-1 record and lost in the regional championship both years. The next year they finished 14-1 losing in the state semi-finals. The next year finished 13-1 losing again in the state semi-finals. All of the seasons previously stated, Refugio pulled out their starters right after halftime. When they needed their starters to play the whole game...they weren't physically ready to do so. Perfect example: Starting running back during the 14-1 season averaged 7 carries a game throughout the regular season...He had to carry the ball 37 times in the semi-final loss and he could not handle that physically. The coaching staff made a decision to play their starters for at least three whole quarters, no matter what. This lead to Refugio beating teams by scores of 82-6, 91-6, scoring 70 points multiple tims, and averaging about 65 points a game or so. All this was because the coaches at Refugio KNEW that at some point in the season, their kids were going to have to play a whole game and it could be the difference between winning and losing a state championship. I will also add that winning and losing determines if a coach keeps his job or not...this is a fact. In a place like Refugio, if you have the kids to win a state championship, then you better do so or you will find yourself without a job. Refugio was 14-0 going into the state championship game against Cisco and they had been the target of much debate and trash talk. Well low and behold the Bobcats win the state championship by ONE POINT. The game went down to the FINAL MINUTE literally and Refugio had to play A WHOLE FOUR QUARTERS...just like the coaching staff thought would eventually happen.

Of course I am biased, but the point is that the coaches at Refugio did exactly what they thought was best for the kids and their career. Besides...the head coach and the offensive coordinator on that staff has won two state championships. You would think they knew what they were doing right??

Posted By: timwins31

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/10/12 04:42 PM

Hey man I was at the 2000 Sonora game when they won. I had a cousin there at the time.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/10/12 08:36 PM

Oh yeah? You're cousin played for Sonora? I am sure I would know him.

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/13/12 03:08 PM

I am not judging. I coached Football for nearly 30 years and understand. I listened to story on ESPN radio one Saturday morning before I did Saturday school. I didn't get to finish listening to it. But, I totally understand that you have to do what you need to do to win a State Championship. And, they wanted the kids prepared physically and mentally. Congrats to all.

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/14/12 01:20 PM

Sorry bud! Been having to defend it ALOT lately

Posted By: Crawl

Re: Dad's State Championships - 05/14/12 06:36 PM

Congrats to your Dad and the Team.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum