Texas Fishing Forum

Sea Rim Reds...

Posted By: shanedaviesguide.com

Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 01:09 AM

Stumbled accross these Fall 2008 Gulf trip photos I had stored on another computer.

We CPR'd numerous reds in and around the surf from the kayak or by kayaking baits out to the color change.

Can't believe I didn't make it to the Gulf this year! mad

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 01:57 AM

What part of the GOM?
Posted By: aggie_angler09

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 02:49 AM

look like my brother-in-law. gulf fishing with the kayak. nice looking reds.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 02:15 PM

great catches
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 02:28 PM

wow!
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 03:02 PM

nice!!

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/22/09 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER
What part of the GOM?

Port Arthur.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4504_055a.pdf

Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/23/09 07:46 AM

Shane what kind of reel is that in the first pic?

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/23/09 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN
Shane what kind of reel is that in the first pic?

That is a Penn International 12W. Extremely rare. It was produced in the 1977-78 timeframe.

I use it mostly in the surf when running out big baits with the kayak. It has also seen some offshore action over the years, on some of my 5 1/2' roller stripper rods as well as my 7' bait/jig rods. I installed a bearing sleeve on it and now it freespools like a dream for sight casting tinker mackerel on 20# dia braid/fluro leader to outside boils and other cruising fish.

Everything else on the reel is stock and it is in great condition. Performed all the maintenance myself. I originally bought it new for fishing the SoCal 1/2 day boats back when the big yellowtail were thick.

I basically got tired of getting spooled on my ABU 6500's and Penn Jigmasters when the big yellows would crash one of our surface bites. I can sling a 10" plus live mackerel or squid about 50-60 yards on my 10' Calstar glass blank and Penn 12W combo.

Along with the 30-40 pound class yellowtail, there were also giant white seabass up to 70 pounds. I basically wanted a reel I could land anything with on 20 pound mono, but I didn't want the weight and bulk of a Senator. There were not nearly as many reel options back then like now.

Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/23/09 11:34 PM

Very Cool!
Posted By: TheRodFather

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/23/09 11:36 PM

Sweet deal bro...keep em coming! thumb

I have always wanted to catch a white sea bass...always thought it would look and feel like a giant speckled trout...plus they are tasty.
Posted By: fishybiz

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/24/09 04:22 AM

Nice Shane. I've got the same blank (if it's a 100J) and admire if you can throw a bait on a 12W. I had my PENNs specialized to Cal Sheets to allow for a better free spool to throw bait to the big YFT. Of course now those PENNs that I have are outdated by the new line of reels but I'd still break out the heavy gear if I could find something to bite it out here:)
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/24/09 05:51 PM

Nice. I need to get down there sometime to catch them line strippers.thumb
Posted By: Forever Fishing

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/26/09 03:57 AM

Sweet fish Shane!

Re: Sea Rim Reds... - 12/26/09 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fishybiz
Nice Shane. I've got the same blank (if it's a 100J).

Yep, that is the blank. I have two of the honey colored and one black that I cut down at the handle to 9'.

The 10' calstar with a ABU 6500 or 7000 C3 is great for lobbing footlong shad and herring for stripers.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum