Texas Fishing Forum

What kind of Spider is this?

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:02 AM

I've got about 30 of these things in my garage and they are driving me and my wife nuts.

The're webs get all over everything in the garage and they are very hard to clean off.

These are large spiders about 2" in length.

There webs are really cool looking. They have a spiral hole that the spider hides in until it's prey lands on it's web.

Posted By: Scotty Mac

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:08 AM

Not positive, but looks kind of like a wolf spider to me
Posted By: Fishbrain

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:09 AM

Funnel-web
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:13 AM

how do I get rid of them?

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:17 AM

You can spray, but you have to make contact with the spider. Just shoot a little down the hole.
Posted By: mikeram1

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:30 AM

I gave up on getting rid of those, way too many around here.
The Boys love to mes with them though.
Posted By: big fish 1

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 04:53 AM

They are common wolf spiders. Pretty harmless to humans but if the wife says they go, Raid has product to take care of that.
Posted By: Paul C.

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 11:39 AM

It's a common Grass Spider related to the Wolf Spider. Wolf Spiders are darker while Grass Spiders have those distinct bars on the thorax.

Grass Spiders

Wolf Spider

Posted By: PvilleAngler

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 11:42 AM

Why would you want to get rid of them? They are harmless to humans and they eat all sorts of pests, insects, and other spiders.
Posted By: M3talH3ad

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: catfishsalsa
I've got about 30 of these things in my garage and they are driving me and my wife nuts.

The're webs get all over everything in the garage and they are very hard to clean off.

i would say this is why he wants to get rid of them........ seven dust kills pretty much everything. thats what i use and spiders are pretty common around my place.
Posted By: slider

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 12:21 PM

I'd call it a dead spider! My wife hates spiders too.

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 01:18 PM

They tend to freak out the wife if they get in the house and run across the floor!
Posted By: Corey C. Metroplex Insurance

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 01:18 PM

hey the hornet spray that shoot like 25 ft., works instantly. It truly is amazing.
Posted By: TXGirl26

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:10 PM

We get those in our barns every summer. They wont mess with you most of the time, but Ive had a few get on my head and crawl down my face. Thats when I do the "get it off, get it off" dance.

We just let them be, they are great fly catchers. Creepy looking, but good at eating flies.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:28 PM

Catfishsalsa,

Trade ya!!! I have Black Widows and Scorpins here. I am just waiting for the 2 year old to bring me one or the other.
Posted By: big fish 1

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 03:47 PM

Hey peejtrav32, thanks for the insight. I always just called them all wolf spiders. I learn something new every day.
Posted By: Bass Attitude

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 05:14 PM

and so it begins........ crazy
Posted By: tonyp

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 05:22 PM

they are harmless but bite hard, im scared sh*&less of spiders, but they serve their purpose i guess...i used to play with them when i was a kid and they bit me ever once in awhile. try matching one up with a praying mantis in a big jar and watching them go, its fun to watch.

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 05:33 PM

I'd like to repeat: funnel-web spider, not a wolf, not a grass. Harmless and very wary of people.
Posted By: FishSlayer07

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/08/07 09:01 PM

A scary one!

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/09/07 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: fishbrain
I'd like to repeat: funnel-web spider, not a wolf, not a grass. Harmless and very wary of people.

We don't live in Australia, a funnel web spider is very venomous & lives "in the land down under".

Funnel web

Posted By: OzMan

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/09/07 04:34 AM

Yep that's right, definitely not a Funnel cool Plenty of funnels here if you want me to post you one over to compare it to what you got noidea A funnel is similar to that of the silver dollar, or a fimble, minus the legs boltbolt and real quick too
Nasty Bloke's scared scared

noideaCould be a wolf spider, prolly came back from Bagdad in a marines sack flag flag

noidea It would be easier to tell with a clearer picture thoughhammer

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/09/07 04:11 PM

With all due respect to our friend from Down Under, there are different types of funnel-web spiders, folks. Look it up. And, yes, they are indigenous to Texas and very common. There are 85 species of funnel webs native to the United States, and they are found in every state. Here is a link --> Funnel-web

The Australian Funnel-web is the most notable and most dangerous, but it isn't the only one.

I will retract the grass spider comment--some folks do refer to funnel-webs by that common name.
Posted By: OzMan

Re: What kind of Spider is this? - 06/09/07 10:04 PM

lol flehan
They all make the same crunching noise when you stomp one into oblivionviolin
well lets just say, this funnel doesn't wave an Australian flag flag
I still want a better pic to pipe down popcorn
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum