Texas Fishing Forum

Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years)

Posted By: bigcast88

Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/01/22 04:38 PM

Buddy of mine ripped into his first bowfin on the buffalo bayou down in houston the bayou was flooded due to a heavy rainstorm Friday we ended up going to two diffrent spots that weren't fishable due to flooding or too many people. so we decided to hit our spot deep in george bush park its a nice 30 minute hike to reach this certain section of the buffalo bayou but we made the trek amd the bayou rewarded him with a nice cchunky bowie [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/01/22 05:13 PM

Congrats to your friend. Those are sure enough scrappers.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/01/22 08:18 PM

coolphotos
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/01/22 08:22 PM

Great fighters. Nice fish. thumb
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/01/22 08:42 PM

I did not know what they were and had never encountered bowfin until I was fishing some canals in Florida while I was stationed there. I caught like 7 or 8 of them and they absolutely destroyed the spinnerbait I was throwing. Fun fish to catch, good fighters and explosive hits. Congrats to your buddy and his addition to the species list.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/02/22 12:15 AM

cheers
Posted By: bigcast88

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/02/22 05:07 PM

Thanks everyone yeah he's still on cloud 9 about it we even had a Bayou Boys "which is the name of our fishing group" tournament he ended up winning it with the bowfin
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/02/22 05:54 PM

thumb
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/02/22 06:55 PM

That's a nice one, bet it put up one heck of a fight.
Congratulations to your friend.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/04/22 12:14 AM

Great story. thumb
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/04/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Slide_R
I did not know what they were and had never encountered bowfin until I was fishing some canals in Florida while I was stationed there. I caught like 7 or 8 of them and they absolutely destroyed the spinnerbait I was throwing. Fun fish to catch, good fighters and explosive hits. Congrats to your buddy and his addition to the species list.

The ones in Florida were likely snakeheads, They look just like bowfins but they have better coloration. Both fish are great fighters,
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/04/22 09:59 PM

Man I'll bet that thing made for one helluva battle on a spinning rod set-up.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/12/22 01:08 PM

Great fight, but I bet that smell on his hand was like the last date of the night on a $10 hooker!
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/19/22 07:06 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Buddy's first bowfin (he's been hunting this fish for years) - 11/26/22 03:07 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum