What are these - 07/24/21 02:38 AM

things & can someone tell me how they work?? plzzz! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 02:47 AM

They look like oil lamps.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 02:53 AM

Looks like old road construction oil lamps. hmmm

Side Note: Would not know how they work. Guessing I would think there would be a wick at the top. noidea
Posted By: gborg

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 12:37 PM

From past experience, " smudge pots ". Outdoor insect control.
Posted By: slim1

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Side Note: Would not know how they work. Guessing I would think there would be a wick at the top. noidea

They are Smudge Pots. They were used in road construction for markers at night. The top unscrews, kerosene is poured in, and the wick is lit. Would burn a long time and smoked real bad.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by gborg
From past experience, " smudge pots ". Outdoor insect control.

thumb
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: What are these - 07/24/21 05:44 PM

Thanks guys! Now that I know what they are I can go to YT and see how they operate. gborg ..how does the insect control element come into play??? hmmm
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 04:48 AM

CLEAN THAT POOL PLEASE. LOL
Posted By: pop r

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 01:07 PM

" smudge pots ". Outdoor insect control. These were used in Dallas from the 50's to the early 60's to supposedly wart off mosquitos. They were usually placed on a street corner and were lite every night. As kids we would play around them at night and still got ate up by mosquitos.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Thanks guys! Now that I know what they are I can go to YT and see how they operate. gborg ..how does the insect control element come into play??? hmmm

The smoke was supposed to discourage the insects from hanging around. Not so much. That and the smoke did not smell so good.

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Blood

roflmao roflmao roflmao 10 4
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by pop r
" smudge pots ". Outdoor insect control. These were used in Dallas from the 50's to the early 60's to supposedly wart off mosquitos. They were usually placed on a street corner and were lite every night. As kids we would play around them at night and still got ate up by mosquitos.

Totally correct. Also as already been said the highway department used them on road construction areas for night time warnings.
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: What are these - 07/25/21 07:08 PM

Old Lone Star Gas company of Dallas use to put them out with wooden barricades to mark open ditches they dug close to the road.
Filled with kerosene. Caused me to get my A whipped when me and bud drug about 6 home one night.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: What are these - 07/26/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by slim1
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

They are Smudge Pots. They were used in road construction for markers at night. The top unscrews, kerosene is poured in, and the wick is lit. Would burn a long time and smoked real bad.

This, from the 50's
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: What are these - 07/26/21 05:37 PM

It's so green at first I thought it was grass bolt

Re: What are these - 07/26/21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

It's so green at first I thought it was grass bolt

Yeah I know. This season I`m looking to get it re plastered. Grand Kids upset violin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum