Texas Fishing Forum

Bull on the boat in matagorda bay

Posted By: bigcast88

Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/17/20 01:31 PM

How goes it people finally was able to get a boat trip together me and two friends went out to matagorda and the bullsharks where there to say the least hooked into 3 total and finally got this guy on the boat [Linked Image]
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/17/20 01:35 PM

Looks like a black tip, Very close to bull shark. I caught my first shark (black tip) a couple years back. I thought it would fight more. But it was still cool to catch him. Looks like you had a great time bringing them in. [Linked Image]

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/17/20 07:05 PM

Believe it or not I've been having an ongoing debate with about 10 to 15 other anglers about the id on this shark I thought blacktip myself cause of the black coloration lining the tail aswell as the anal fin. but because there was no black tips on the dorsel aswell as the pectoral fins and it having a blunt wide nose other anglers said bullshark and what makes it frustrating is that this is my first shark and I can't get a positive I'd on him😅😅

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/18/20 12:01 PM

here's a video my buddy took of the catch to get a better look at it
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/18/20 07:27 PM

Having shark ID issues? You are not alone lol. There are over 40 species of sharks in the gulf and some can be pretty difficult to identify, especially when they are small. In my book, The Art of Fishing for Records, I wrote, “For sharks and other hard to identify species pictures should be taken of the head, tail, belly, dorsal fin, mouth, teeth, and anal fin.” Shark identification is done mainly with the interdorsal ridge, dorsal fin position in relation to the pectoral fin, preoral length in relation to internarial width, teeth shape, 2nd dorsal fin in relation to the anal fin, and coloration.

So, from the information you provided, the shark appears to be a bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas). I am basing this on the snout length, upper teeth shape, and dorsal position. Similar sharks are the blacktip shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) and the spinner shark (Carcharhinus brevipinna). Both have longer snouts than the bull shark. The blacktip shark can be distinguished from the spinner shark by the color of the anal fin. The spinner shark has a black tipped anal fin while the blacktip shark has a white anal fin.

Misunderstanding shark identification has resulted in lots of violations so be careful if you keep sharks. Many are protected.

I hope this helps. Oh and congratulations on the great catch. clap

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/18/20 10:33 PM

That's is without a doubt the most helpful info I gotten thus far thank you...AND I DUB THEE...BULLSHARK😄😄
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/19/20 04:31 AM

Nice fish. Also great information Barry! thumb
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/19/20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigcast88
That's is without a doubt the most helpful info I gotten thus far thank you...AND I DUB THEE...BULLSHARK😄😄

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad I could help. Keep the pictures coming. hooked
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/19/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigcast88
How goes it people finally was able to get a boat trip together me and two friends went out to matagorda and the bullsharks where there to say the least hooked into 3 total and finally got this guy on the boat [Linked Image]

Is this guy Klayton?

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/21/20 10:52 AM

No problem heading to Trinity River this morning to get into some hefty garfish .
Posted By: Kscribner21

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/22/20 02:00 PM

Nice shark!!
Posted By: pop r

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 06/24/20 01:08 AM

thumb
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 07/15/20 06:06 PM

Caught some bigguns out of Madagorda
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Bull on the boat in matagorda bay - 09/01/20 11:53 PM

thumb