Texas Fishing Forum

Snake in the house

Posted By: keithfishing0

Snake in the house - 06/25/18 05:07 AM

What kind do you thing , was in the bathroom and bit my girlfriend but no reaction from the bite
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Snake in the house - 06/25/18 06:09 AM

watch the bite to make sure no infection occurs. i would be soaking it in hydrogen peroxide to kill the bacteria. i would drive it to the other side of town and let it go. good snake.

rat snake.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Snake in the house - 06/25/18 12:25 PM

Texas Rat Snake, can be very aggressive when cornered, they will strike like a poisonous snake.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Snake in the house - 06/25/18 02:22 PM

Holy cow. Hope she’s ok. Looks like you’re moving if you want to keep the girlfriend!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Snake in the house - 06/25/18 04:14 PM

We’ve had them in our house too. I ran em out with a broom and swept them off the porch.
Posted By: sll

Re: Snake in the house - 06/26/18 12:47 AM

At least she was in the right room at the time because I would have literally shat.
Posted By: BSHAW27

Re: Snake in the house - 06/26/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: sll
At least she was in the right room at the time because I would have literally shat.

hahahaha
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Snake in the house - 06/26/18 06:47 PM

bolt
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 11:22 AM

If it was in your house, you likely have mice whether you have seen them or not. Those guys have great sensors to follow mice.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 11:49 AM

Burn it down! I know I would....
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 05:48 PM

house....for sale
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 05:55 PM

Bunch of Pansies! Pick it up, take a pic if you want, walk outside and set it down.

Then go wash your hands to get the stink off. grin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 06:02 PM

They stink, use a broom.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Snake in the house - 06/27/18 06:47 PM

Rat snakes are popular with rural folks, folks with barns. Tough on chickens and their eggs, for sure, but otherwise great to control vermin.

They were so popular that I recall hearing stories about folks letting them loose in their attics to run off rats/mice/squirrels . . . and the question always attached to doing this is, "How does the snake get out?" The answer is it gets out the same way the varmints got in, often some tiny hole. Once the food source is gone, so is the rat snake.

A friend of mine in Springtown had one crawl straight up his brick facade under the enclosed porch where birds had built a nest. To see a 4 ft. long snake stuck to a brick wall like Velcro is pretty cool. The snake made short work of the nest's contents.

Rat snakes have specialized scales on their tummies, can crawl straight up a brick wall, a tree. Great climbers.

Good advice, by the way, to use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the punctures. We all know what they eat!

Brad
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Snake in the house - 06/28/18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Burn it down! I know I would....

In a heart beat!
Posted By: Fish Comedian

Re: Snake in the house - 06/29/18 08:22 PM

Found one in the back yard few days ago, at least my son did. Kept hollering at me about a me putting a "fake snake" in the yard. I replied "I don't own any fake snakes son, if it's out there it's real" He wisely took a few steps back, turned out to be a Rat snake about 4-5 ft long biggest I'd seen in my yard in a long time. Moved him to the back of my place to a wood pile.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Snake in the house - 06/29/18 09:24 PM

Moved one off my back patio this morning, Forgot how bad they stink, dog had really gotten him angry
Posted By: GROD

Re: Snake in the house - 07/06/18 03:06 PM

If it were my wife, our house would be up for sale no doubt.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Snake in the house - 07/06/18 03:11 PM

Rat snake Keith! Sorry to hear that your wife was bite as stated watch the bite make sure it is cleaned often. I would also check for mice or rats in or around house. That's most likely why the snake was around
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Snake in the house - 07/06/18 04:42 PM

Funny thing about Lake Athens is, while we have every kind of bird/mammal/fish and others you can imagine, I can't recall seeing many, if any, water snakes on the lake. And, I am out a LOT and in the shallow places one would expect to see them. I think I might have seen one over the last 2 years, but not even sure about that.

Rat snakes? Oh yes! We had one come out of the little forest next to our home and it was close to a 6 footer. She came out to hunt in the late evening. I find small ones all the time.

I should know, degree'd in Biology, but I don't and am wondering whether the local rat snake population have eliminated water snakes? Hmm? King snakes eat other snakes, others too, not sure whether rat snakes munch on water snakes or not.

Anyway, I love rat snakes . . . I just don't want to get tagged by one so I just ignore them. Outside, that is! Ha!

Brad
Posted By: 361V

Re: Snake in the house - 07/23/18 08:33 PM

Last year I reached into a box of trash bags sitting on a picnic table on our back porch to pull out a trash bag. The same species rat snake struck and bit me in the hand before I even knew he was there. They can be deadly......I almost died of a heart attack! blush
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Snake in the house - 07/23/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: sll

All over the place x 10
Posted By: jrk54

Re: Snake in the house - 12/14/18 07:06 AM

These are useful reptiles but i still dislike them.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Snake in the house - 12/19/18 02:46 AM

Wow
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Snake in the house - 12/19/18 07:51 PM

slinger
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Snake in the house - 12/19/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Last year I reached into a box of trash bags sitting on a picnic table on our back porch to pull out a trash bag. The same species rat snake struck and bit me in the hand before I even knew he was there. They can be deadly......I almost died of a heart attack! blush

Oh, Hell no.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Snake in the house - 12/19/18 08:18 PM

Snake story...I spent my childhood summers on the farm with my grandparents when school was out. I mean out in the country in SE Missouri.
They had an wood frame farmhouse that sit out between the cotton, soy bean, and corn fields,..anyway,
a 'snake' had gotten inside the wall between the kitchen and the living room. Well grandma would tell grandpa it was there and he'd go in kitchen
and listen at the wall and couldn't hear anything....this went on for a couple of days. She'd say "hear it, hear it,...there it is", he'd keep listening and would tell
her "aint nothing there..!!" Finally she told him "there it is, I can feel it moving in there"....he finally agreed there was something there, he told her to
get the broom and point the handle where she thought it was,......he took his 12 gauge and blowed a 2 foot hole through the wall.
What was left of that snake ended up in the living room in pieces. For years and years grandma would tell that story anytime someone would ask about
the big patch in the wall. She never mention anything about noises in the wall again.... farmer
Posted By: Alitce Alita Deschamps

Re: Snake in the house - 12/21/18 11:00 AM

If a snake is in my house, then I am gone. Bye, bye. I have 2 killer cats who love to kill snakes, but I have no intention of watching them. Snakes are just seriously disgusting.
Posted By: keithfishing0

Re: Snake in the house - 12/24/18 12:29 AM

All funny stuff. She is just fine but still shy , we live on a farm so I guess we have to deal with it.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Snake in the house - 12/24/18 02:14 AM

Looks like a plastic covered rat snake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum