Texas Fishing Forum

Help reading screen

Posted By: Crappie Bait

Help reading screen - 10/30/17 01:33 PM

Any ideas on what these shots show and what's the dark area to the left in the one photo? Trying to learn what I'm actually seeing.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Help reading screen - 10/30/17 02:35 PM

The dark area to the left on the top image is a small ledge. It turns black because you are not getting a return from the transducer after the ledge drops off. Imagine you are shining a flashlight in a dark room. Your sonar is only going to show you what the light directly hits. That will help you imagine what it is you are seeing on side image. In the bottom image, it looks like maybe a large log or some other hard structure.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Help reading screen - 10/30/17 04:05 PM

As stated above, it is some kind of structure on the edge of a ledge. Top image also shows some tires in the area. I'd go back and forth a couple times with the down image to see if you can get a different picture.

Either way...it would be a waypoint on my graph...and I'd drop a jig down on it wink
Posted By: shadboy

Re: Help reading screen - 10/30/17 08:03 PM

Crappiebait

To expand on the flashlight analog.

Your on your boat and floating in air. You have 2 spotlights under the boat.
So u look over the edge and see some small bright object but since you are directly over it is hard to judge height. However if you look at the shadow the object casts you get a better idea of its height. SI is just the spotlight.
Posted By: Crappie Bait

Re: Help reading screen - 10/31/17 01:04 AM

Thanks to you all
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum