How to catch CRAPPIE

Posted By: SK.

How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/24/17 12:07 AM

After a cold front.....

https://youtu.be/gY6BklORRJk
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/24/17 12:54 AM

Quote:
How to catch CRAPPIE After a cold front.

Like any other time of the year. Fish are cold blooded and will attack a lure when the water temp is in the 40's though maybe a bit lighter in weight than when in 60's. Just a matter of finding areas that have higher concentrations of pan fish in general and then slowing down a bit. Today I fished using 1/32 oz jig heads and lures that averaged from 1 1/2"-2 1/2" and caught 44 fish: crappie, sunfish, perch and bass. When the fish were more accepting of larger heavier jig heads, I opt for 1/16 oz. for a slightly faster presentation: slowly swimming a grub or other design with slight twitches.

Also, like for warmer seasons, I use small diameter braid on the spool and a 1' fluorocarbon leader. Long distance casts are possible along with light lure strike detection. A light action rod is essential along with a reel with a decent line-to-spool ratio.

Location, location, location. It changes in a week's time and sometimes from one day to the next.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/24/17 01:00 AM

I really enjoyed that one. That challenge stuff and friends hashing it out is too funny.Hopefully they don't burn you too bad on the ac unit.

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/24/17 03:27 AM

Thanks y'all...

SenkoSam there's a lot of stuff that the fish relate to that we call structure & sometime's its a slight change in the lake floor. Being willing to make changes to your technique be it color, size, weight or action you apply to your jig makes a difference between catchn or not.
I like to believe technique overrule location by a lot. JMHO....

Scruboak, it was a great time & being willing to accept those challenges usually turn out with good results...

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/24/17 12:23 PM

Quote:
I like to believe technique overrule location by a lot.

I use sonar constantly, but not to find fish I will catch in shallow lakes but any fish in the area - especially bait fish. My lure finds fish and sonar helps when there is a pattern that hopefully repeats itself. Maybe my approach applies mostly to shallow water since I rarely fish water over 30' deep.

Totally agree about technique which involves lure design, size, weight, etc. (color just a bit).

Thanks for the video.

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/25/17 12:04 AM

I agree SenkoSam, 2D sonar is an excellent tool... I run 2D & SI when I'm on the troll motor....
15' is deep for me I hang year round in 8 to 13fow.....
Thanks for commenting.....
Posted By: HOGON

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/25/17 12:19 AM

Thanks for sharing. clap

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/26/17 01:23 AM

SK, amazing how many different locations crappie and other species can be found on the same day. I fished today and found crappie in open water schools in water 7' deep, bass and pan fish along shore lines that dropped fast to 8', over flats no deeper than 4' and out from a long rock wall that is adjacent to 14 FOW.

Best thing is experimenting with new lure designs/modification and catching 51 fish!
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/26/17 02:54 AM

Another great video. Thanks for posting.

>E
Posted By: leanin post

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/26/17 06:32 AM

crappie like pink and light colored jigs in colder water because baitfish turn a lighter pinkish color in colder water. if u dont believe it, put a dozen minnows in your freezer for 45 minutes and take them out and look at them. I dont know if they change the regulation of thier blood / oxygen system or exactly what they do, but they turn from dark brownish black., to pinkish white. Crappies eyesight also improves in colder water. if your not showing them something they can believe is real, you wont get bit. That is why many people use only live bait in late fall and winter.

Re: How to catch CRAPPIE - 10/26/17 06:17 PM

SenkoSam I agree and that is the reason they are do prolific, they adapt vey well....

Thanks all...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum