Texas Fishing Forum

Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls

Posted By: erittmueller

Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/20/17 03:03 PM

Will PVC porcupines using crates (like milk crate) sink or float? How much weight is needed for pond or lake so not moving water? Small brick, whole cinder block, etc?

Eric
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/20/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Will PVC porcupines using crates (like milk crate) sink or float? How much weight is needed for pond or lake so not moving water? Small brick, whole cinder block, etc?

Eric
PM sent
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/20/17 08:59 PM

Consider using small cardboard boxes that you get when you order something from Amazon. Cut a bunch of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pvc about 6 inches long and cement several pvc stubs out of it (I usually do 12-18 or more depending on the size of the box). Then glue couplings on the ends and you can assemble the rest of the PVC however long you want at the lake or pond and it costs a fraction the costs of those pvc porcupine balls Bill Dance sells and probably a heck of a lot easier than building a porcupine ball with a milk crate.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/20/17 11:38 PM

free bucket...40lbs concrete...free or cheap pvc...1/2 inch cheap hose...

Posted By: Chief262

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/21/17 12:10 AM

Design I've been playing with.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/22/17 11:04 PM

How does PVC trees compare to real brush as far as fish being attracted to it? I had tried PVC and it was convenient to assemble at the lake without attracting looks from people and easy to fish because I never got hung up; but I never could find them on sonar and rarely had any fish around them. What's yalls tricks to locating exactly where they are and fishing them if it is not close to anything? I spot locked with my Terrova, then threw brush out in front of the trolling motor so I knew exactly where my TM was in relation to the brush pile so I could go back to it. I got to hand it to crappie anglers, fishing over a brush pile when its not close to anything is much tougher then I expected. I'm tempted to throw more PVC structure in the lake with a small float attached to them so I can see exactly where to fish but then I should put a big sign up for everyone else to come fish it lol.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/23/17 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish
How does PVC trees compare to real brush as far as fish being attracted to it? I had tried PVC and it was convenient to assemble at the lake without attracting looks from people and easy to fish because I never got hung up; but I never could find them on sonar and rarely had any fish around them. What's yalls tricks to locating exactly where they are and fishing them if it is not close to anything? I spot locked with my Terrova, then threw brush out in front of the trolling motor so I knew exactly where my TM was in relation to the brush pile so I could go back to it. I got to hand it to crappie anglers, fishing over a brush pile when its not close to anything is much tougher then I expected. I'm tempted to throw more PVC structure in the lake with a small float attached to them so I can see exactly where to fish but then I should put a big sign up for everyone else to come fish it lol.
PVC is very hard to see. I`ve had the same experience.All I can suggest is tying something like some rubber or plastic hose to it just like the ones the TPWD uses on Lake Fork and some other lakes.Drop a marker Buoy first and then drop the pvc TREE close to it so you have a point of orientation.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/23/17 04:08 PM

Thanks guys. These would not be going in the lake, if anything just in some local ponds if we make them, some that can be fished from the bank. The box is a great idea, probably gonna use that one after the crates are used up.

Eric
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/23/17 04:27 PM

Get rebar and cut into 4ft pieces and stick into pvc. It sill show up on sonar and others will only see a red blimp and not recognize it as structure.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Weight for PVC Porcupine Balls - 10/23/17 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish

PVC condos do hold fish but not as good as natural brush IMO. I have found that PVC is inconsistent in holding fish. Either they are all over it or you don't get bit. Brush tends to always hold at least a couple. PVC is also hard to see at times on the graph.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum