Texas Fishing Forum

Technique

Posted By: Mac817

Technique - 10/20/17 02:12 AM

Crappie jigging. Twitch up or down? Which do you prefer? Twitch up for me personally.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 04:14 AM

Down
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 09:30 AM

Down mostly but sometimes up
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 01:09 PM

Just hold it still. Boat will impart all the action it needs. Active fish will smash it when they get ready.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 01:36 PM

90 % of the time deadstick. Then it is a mix of 6 inch hops, 3 ft raise and fall. , and let it sit on bottom for a few seconds and slowly lift it.
Good luck
Mo
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 01:51 PM

Most of the time I just slowly lift and lower. I'm trying to feel the brush or tree as I swim the jig around. Occasionally I'll deadstick with a small twitch every now and then.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 05:13 PM

This Weekend the wife and I were hitting the trees and stumps in 12-15 fow.. about 7 ft down, then I dropped down a bit more. then I dropped down a bit more. Thump, the first one I Pulled, had Mud on his belly... Guess where we started at on Each Tree from there on..
So what Im saying is that I like to section it off and I like the slow up and down. not too much Twitching.. the Jon Boat does enough twitching.. smile

My wife learned a lot this week, mostly about watching her line, more than just feeling the Thump.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chiprat
This Weekend the wife and I were hitting the trees and stumps in 12-15 fow.. about 7 ft down, then I dropped down a bit more. then I dropped down a bit more. Thump, the first one I Pulled, had Mud on his belly... Guess where we started at on Each Tree from there on..
So what Im saying is that I like to section it off and I like the slow up and down. not too much Twitching.. the Jon Boat does enough twitching.. smile

My wife learned a lot this week, mostly about watching her line, more than just feeling the Thump.

Great pics buddy!!!!!
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 08:04 PM

So very little movement? I've yet to catch anything on a jig. Maybe I should try with a bobber? I got a 8ft medium action all star rod, set up with a shimano Siena 2500 reel loaded with braided 6lb test 1lb diameter.

Reading these comments i feel I might be moving too much! Do you guys think the braided line spooks the fish? I almost loaded it with me crappie hi vis but I seem to get hung up alot and wanted the strength of braid.
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 10:13 PM

I use braid and don't have problems with it. Every day is different, but for the most part as small of a movement as possible.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Technique - 10/20/17 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MilesHunter
Most of the time I just slowly lift and lower. I'm trying to feel the brush or tree as I swim the jig around. Occasionally I'll deadstick with a small twitch every now and then.
This

Re: Technique - 10/21/17 01:05 AM

welcomeThumpy! Another explanation for fishing a jig is to fish it like you would a minnow with a cork.I believe the right depth is a little more important with a jig.
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Technique - 10/21/17 01:44 AM

Sorry for the hijack. I'll try jig on a cork
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Technique - 10/21/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumpy
Sorry for the hijack. I'll try jig on a cork
PM sent to you

Re: Technique - 10/21/17 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone! Great answers!
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Technique - 10/23/17 02:11 AM

Swimming with twitches along the way mixed with glide ....at the right depth of course.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum