Texas Fishing Forum

Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake

Posted By: chas1

Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/11/17 09:21 PM

My daughter is obsessed with Caddo lake and it’s coming in in two weeks. I know the weed problem is very bad on Caddo right now. I’ve never fish the river itself around the bridge and big cypress area. I have a bass tracker type boat, can I run the river if I don’t know it. Also what about Crappie in that area would you go up or down the river from the Bridge. Also are there any bass in that area
Thanks any help is appreciated by me and Cayla.)!
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/12/17 06:51 PM

If you don’t know the river you WILL get lost in a hurry. I would suggest not to go past Caddo State Park and the Highway 43 bridge if you aren’t familiar. Once you go past that it actually turns into 3 different river, Big Cypress, Old river and the Goverment ditch. That’s my advice.

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/12/17 07:25 PM

Then should I go south and try to fish, Would that be my best bet just not go past where the split is ., also can I run down the river,will hit anything as long as I stay in the middle of the channel ?
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/13/17 02:58 AM

You can run the river fine, no problem. Do you have a graph with gps?

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/13/17 03:01 AM

There’s good fish being caught around buzzard bay, big green break, little green break, kitchens creek areas.

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/13/17 03:05 AM

Put in at Cripps Camp... there’s plenty of good fishing around there
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/13/17 04:14 PM

i was there about 2 wks ago and it was great. you can put in at Caddo State Park and run up the river passed the HW 43 Bridge with no issues. the statement is correct you can get lost in the slews but there are signs all up and down the river that will help. I ran about 10 miles up the river and had no issue the water was 12-25 ft in the main channel. I caught crappie in fallen timber along the bank. as you go there is a large beaver dam right in the middle of the river so watch out for it.

they were hitting on minnows suspended 10-15 ft.

Re: Need help fishing big cypress Caddo lake - 10/13/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
You can run the river fine, no problem. Do you have a graph with gps?

Yes I do have just a basic depth finder.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum