Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon Saturday morning

Posted By: Gmann

Lavon Saturday morning - 10/09/17 01:14 PM

Started off slow. . . 15' on timber, few drinks and a keeper or two. Decided if we have to think about measuring them, back they go.

Moved to 20' on brush/structure and again, many dinks, slipped over to another spot close by and got busy, put several 12"+ fish in the box. That slowed, moved to some more timber in 17' and put several more in the box and as many dinks. Moved to a brush pile in 16' and kept catching keepers and dinks

Put the rods in the boat at 12:30, 88 on the clicker and 22 in the box. No telling how many 10-10.5" fish we threw back. All on bluegrass brush gliders and slim sticks. Love this fall fishing.
Posted By: BMART

Re: Lavon Saturday morning - 10/09/17 02:13 PM

as the water cools, you think they will be shallow?
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Lavon Saturday morning - 10/09/17 05:43 PM

My experience, as temps drop, they go deeper. Last year, day after Christmas, we were catching them in 32'.

Growing up as a kid, fishing on Toledo Bend in Jan/Feb., we'd always catch them deep in the river channel. Same thing on Fork in the winter, catch them deep by the dam.
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Lavon Saturday morning - 10/09/17 06:30 PM

Was out there yesterday and stumbled across something I have never seen before. Was idling away from a ledge I was fishing, and as I was about to get on plane I went over a huge ball of fish suspended 20ft down in 32ftw. I immediately thought sandbass but went ahead and marked it anyway and went back around for another look. Sure enough they were still there, which surprised me because sandbass will usually be on the move and gone. So went ahead and threw the marker buoy just to see. It didn't take me too long to figure out they were crappie, and they were hungry and not small! Of course I had a birthday party I had to be at and only had 15 more minutes to fish, but put 7 or 8 pigs in the boat and had to leave them biting. But anyway, first time I have ever seen crappie bunched up in open water without any structure whatsoever, pretty crazy. Couple nice ones out of that school.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lavon Saturday morning - 10/09/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoPaul
Was out there yesterday and stumbled across something I have never seen before. Was idling away from a ledge I was fishing, and as I was about to get on plane I went over a huge ball of fish suspended 20ft down in 32ftw. I immediately thought sandbass but went ahead and marked it anyway and went back around for another look. Sure enough they were still there, which surprised me because sandbass will usually be on the move and gone. So went ahead and threw the marker buoy just to see. It didn't take me too long to figure out they were crappie, and they were hungry and not small! Of course I had a birthday party I had to be at and only had 15 more minutes to fish, but put 7 or 8 pigs in the boat and had to leave them biting. But anyway, first time I have ever seen crappie bunched up in open water without any structure whatsoever, pretty crazy. Couple nice ones out of that school.

Man those birthday parties. I finally started catching yesterday too and had to leave for my nephews birthday party!!arghh!!..lol
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Lavon Saturday morning - 10/10/17 09:31 PM

Those ARE nice ones!
The striper/hybrid fisherman have said that big crappie roam around with the schools of shad too! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum