Texas Fishing Forum

how early

Posted By: kdub#1

how early - 09/07/17 01:08 PM

What is the earliest in the year you have caught fall creek crappie?

It seems like in the creek I like to fish they are usually there around mid october, NE TX.

Just wondering when ya'll start creeking it too.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: how early - 09/07/17 01:11 PM

Usually first frost for me, around Thanksgiving.

Eric
Posted By: daddystog

Re: how early - 09/08/17 07:18 PM

All according to depth of water, I catch crappie all summer in the creek on one my favorite crappie lakes but it's in 20' of water under big shady trees
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: how early - 09/08/17 07:36 PM

I've never caught enough worth messing with in creeks, but a few always show up in November.
Posted By: SK.

Re: how early - 09/09/17 01:04 AM

I'm willing to bet if you feeshed the deeper structure in those same creeks year round you'd be surprised that some of those crappy live there year round...
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: how early - 09/10/17 11:24 AM

There are always some crappie to catch in the creeks. However, the numbers of good sized fish goes up considerably around Thanksgiving assuming that the weather has gotten pretty cold. They will usually stay in the creeks in good numbers till early to mid May when the numbers of good fish will drop off big time. Every creek is not the same as some will hold mostly smaller fish and some will hold mostly keepers. Also, the colder the weather, the better the bite will be.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: how early - 09/10/17 03:51 PM

We have had some of our best days in October and early November the last few years. It extends on into April of the next year. I do catch them on occasion in the summer but not many keepers are in the bunch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum