Texas Fishing Forum

rod recommendations under $40

Posted By: varnoldi

rod recommendations under $40 - 08/22/17 02:13 PM

We started crappie fishing last winter, and I grabbed a BPS crappiemaxx combo and a UL Lewis combo. I am wanting to add another set up to my collection. I got a nice new reel and i'm looking for a good rod recommendation . I prefer the crappiemaxx over the Lewis, just seems more sensitive . Was eyeing an UglyStick UL this weekend but it almost seemed TOO sensitive. The Berkeley UL was to stiff for my liking . Any one got some good recommendations at this price point ?
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/22/17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: varnoldi
We started crappie fishing last winter, and I grabbed a BPS crappiemaxx combo and a UL Lewis combo. I am wanting to add another set up to my collection. I got a nice new reel and i'm looking for a good rod recommendation . I prefer the crappiemaxx over the Lewis, just seems more sensitive . Was eyeing an UglyStick UL this weekend but it almost seemed TOO sensitive. The Berkeley UL was to stiff for my liking . Any one got some good recommendations at this price point ?
Hi vernaldi look at proangler tackle, specialize in crappie tackle, good bang for buck, maybe more than 40bucks. But sensitive rods& tuff. Look back on past post on forum & you'll see big following. Ed good guy &quick shipping.I have 10ft rod& buying 8ft.Can sling big crappie in boat no prb, personally landed 12lb blue cat no problem. THATS ALL I GOT.
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/22/17 04:38 PM

8 Foot Pro Angler is King. I always come back to it.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/22/17 05:40 PM

I like BPS crappiemaxx 8', I have 3-4 with AbuGarcia size 10 Black Max spin reels.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/22/17 11:55 PM

Southerncrappierods.com

Good Rod and right in your budget. thumb

Good Luck. fish

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/23/17 01:01 PM

Jim- I really like my 5'6 Cmaxx , which gets used every trip.
Hogon , i will defiantly try one out in my hands!

Anyone using the Okuma UL? I know their a good brand and great for sand bass with their Med rods. I mainly fish the docks at my marina all winter. So a 5'-6' would be ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JUCLCG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1TNNFOHLED8RH&colid=HMB4COCOMLD1
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/23/17 01:07 PM

I broke one couple weeks ago, BPS traded it out (with receipt) no problem.
hooked

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/23/17 01:10 PM

I have hit mine countless times on toons , trying to pitch a jig under . That this has held up great .
Posted By: Tgh523

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/23/17 03:55 PM

Check out Pro Angler Rods. Not under $40 but I promise you wont need another rod. Love my PA rods!!!!!!
Proanglertackle.com - fast shipping thumb
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/23/17 09:42 PM

HOW DO YOU FISH?
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/24/17 03:22 AM

If you are looking for something in the 6' range the Shimano Sojourn is a good choice. I have a couple of the one piece 6'ers and they have served their purpose well for people on the boat that are inexperienced and really don't handle the 8' Pro Anglers well. Model SJS60MB.

>E

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/24/17 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: OFBHWG
HOW DO YOU FISH?

Mainly at the docks for crappie . I've been using 4'6-5'6 poles in there.

I've hear good things about PA but also heard the tip breaks often. Enough so the people ive talked to that love them say " when your order one go ahead and get an extra tip. you will need it sooner than later".

With the 5'6 and under being 1 piece I am worried about busting of the tip and being SOL.

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/24/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06
If you are looking for something in the 6' range the Shimano Sojourn is a good choice. I have a couple of the one piece 6'ers and they have served their purpose well for people on the boat that are inexperienced and really don't handle the 8' Pro Anglers well. Model SJS60MB.

>E

They must be great, cabals is back ordered on all sizes 7' and under.
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/24/17 09:42 PM

Iv had them all, I use uglystik crappie now. This reminds me, I need to order another tip piece for my last proangler....
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/24/17 10:02 PM

Couple yrs ago, a poster on here said you better buy an extra tip for the PA cause it's gona break. When I inquired about that statement, he admitted he was rough on equipment, using his rod to try to swat insects buzzing around the boat, hitting tree limbs and bridge pillars. Crappie rods aren't made to use as clubs. I've still got the first 8ft ProAngler I bought 9 yrs ago and I fish quite a bit. Nothing has broken on that rod.
For fishing docks, the 8 fter is too long. Take a look at the 4.5 and 5.5 ft PA.
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/25/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Couple yrs ago, a poster on here said you better buy an extra tip for the PA cause it's gona break. When I inquired about that statement, he admitted he was rough on equipment, using his rod to try to swat insects buzzing around the boat, hitting tree limbs and bridge pillars. Crappie rods aren't made to use as clubs. I've still got the first 8ft ProAngler I bought 9 yrs ago and I fish quite a bit. Nothing has broken on that rod.
For fishing docks, the 8 fter is too long. Take a look at the 4.5 and 5.5 ft PA.
I agree that they're a good sensitive rod. And I wanted to love them. This last one broke when I flexed it a little to slide it into the rod locker on my boat. Yes I should of broke it down before hand but who has time for that smile
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/26/17 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: varnoldi
Jim- I really like my 5'6 Cmaxx , which gets used every trip.
Hogon , i will defiantly try one out in my hands!

Anyone using the Okuma UL? I know their a good brand and great for sand bass with their Med rods. I mainly fish the docks at my marina all winter. So a 5'-6' would be ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JUCLCG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1TNNFOHLED8RH&colid=HMB4COCOMLD1

I have two these rods and they are pretty good rods for the money. I purchased them off EBay around 8 years ago and they have held up well. My rods are 7footers if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: rod recommendations under $40 - 08/26/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Twistedmidnite
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
I agree that they're a good sensitive rod. And I wanted to love them. This last one broke when I flexed it a little to slide it into the rod locker on my boat. Yes I should of broke it down before hand but who has time for that smile

I've landed an 18 lb blue cat on an 8 fter and seen a pic of MO with a yellow cat close to 40 lbs landed on his PA.
Me thinks you may have flexed it more than a little. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum