Texas Fishing Forum

PONTOON OR BASS BOAT

Posted By: Sirjet

PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 07:15 PM

If you are like me and Like to Crappie and Catfish. Which type of boat would you Buy New?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 07:20 PM

I would get one of these and the pontoon boat

Posted By: G3bassbarge

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I would get one of these and the pontoon boat

I don't see a boat??

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 07:35 PM

Send a picture of a boat please. LMBO
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 08:45 PM

Depends on what you fish for most. Since you fish for both, a pontoon might be the better option.

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 09:22 PM

They got me now thinking about a Center Console. I like them a lot.
Posted By: Neches

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirjet
They got me now thinking about a Center Console. I like them a lot.
I think a center console is the best all around fishing boat. And if you ever want to go to salt water most of them have an aluminum trailer.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 11:26 PM

I was gonna say, neither are what I'd choose, center console all day every day.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 11:33 PM

For sitting on brush piles and spending the whole day out there a pontoon can't be beat for comfort.
Hard fishing in hard to get places a CC works best but the comfort is non existent.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/17/17 11:49 PM

I really like my 2072 tracker
Plenty of room and when I'm done, I just turn the water hose on it
Posted By: scruboak

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 12:36 AM

this
Posted By: shady_grady

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 12:41 AM

there is no perfect boat period.pontoons are much to hard to load and unload and store unless you leave it in a slip.bass boat, deep v or cc without carpet as big as you can get would be my choice.just my opinion and its not worth 2 cents.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 02:16 AM

Bass boat for me. I fish darn near everyday the weather allows. Easy to load and unload, faster, easy to handle.
Posted By: lovetofish10

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 02:21 AM

Someone on here has a Crestliner 2200 bay that looks really sweet. Might be something to look at.
Posted By: Crappie Hunter

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 03:00 AM

I have had a Suntracker pontoon fishing barge 21 with a 50hp since 2005. We have loved the boat, no its not the fastest but it will get you to where you want to go. It handles rough water extremely well. I added some trailer guide-ons to help get the pontoon back on the trailer on windy days. I just added the motorguide 80lb xi5 trolling motor to the boat and love it. It held me over a brush pile taking several waves onto the deck and was still able to fish. Very comfortable to fish and lots of room. I even fish the CAT tournaments with it and can go up into the trees with no issues. All in all it is a great boat. I would like to upgrade to a tri-toon but man those things are expensive lol.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 03:12 AM

If your alley space is like mine jet you need to consider that also.Alley space for me it is hard to get boat backed in.I have to dodge gas meters and cable boxes they put them right on edge of alley.
Posted By: crope1

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: shady_grady
there is no perfect boat period.pontoons are much to hard to load and unload and store unless you leave it in a slip.bass boat, deep v or cc without carpet as big as you can get would be my choice.just my opinion and its not worth 2 cents.
welcome to the forum!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: lovetofish10
Someone on here has a Crestliner 2200 bay that looks really sweet. Might be something to look at.

I believe that to be the USS Box destroyer....very nice. A friend just bought an Epic bay boat and its just as nice. I really do like the bay boats. Nice to have in rough water, lots of room for friends and family.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 11:40 AM

iv had both...Bass Boat all the way!!! just try and hold a pontoon (which i now own) over a brush pile in 15 mph wind! even a I5 cant do it right. pontoon is nice for family cook out and laying around but for real fishing you cant beat a good bass boat!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 01:34 PM

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 02:53 PM

I tend to agree with scruboak.There are pro`s and con`s to owning either one but Owning a "Fishing" boat,if not a neccessity, should be a convienence for you first & foremost IMHO.If not why own it?Big boats are nice to own but, unless you can afford a slip,and they don`t come cheap, do you have room on your property to store and maintain it?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 04:21 PM

Once she divorces you, you'll need a buddy with a boat.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 04:22 PM

Bass boat if you don't like paying a slip fee or want to haul it to different lakes. Launching and recovering a pontoon can be a tough task if there is wind.

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 04:34 PM

PKFishing. Divorce????? I will be getting married in Oct. I have put in a request to get a boat after that day.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: lovetofish10

TBoxfish on the forum here has one of the Crestliner 2200 Bay boats. With the double seats on the bow, two grown men can fish very comfortably all day long. This is also a very safe boat and handles big water great! White capping conditions on Fork, Texoma and Tawakoni were no problem! I'm pretty sure if you PM him or contact him at Thermocline Lures, he will give the pros and cons of the bay boat, as he has owned all types. I have nothing negative to say as of now and I have spent many hours beside him in that boat.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 06:32 PM

Let me take you out on my TOON for a few hours. You will be sold. (You may even have a few fish to take home)

I have no trouble loading and launching and it trailers like a bass boat.

Just call me.

Ernest
214-202-7866
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
Let me take you out on my TOON for a few hours. You will be sold. (You may even have a few fish to take home)

Just call me.

Ernest
214-202-7866

Bingo, some people make things harder than they need to be. I have less trouble loading & unloading my 24' Toon by myself than I did an 18' Ranger bass boat.
Posted By: camoriver

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 10:34 PM

Pontoon if your just going to fish brush piles in the summer. But I follow them up the tributaries in the fall and winter where a pontoon can't go. I have a Ranger RT188, with a Motorguide XI5 to anchor me whereever. Best crappie boat I've ever had. I'm a guide on lake Sam Rayburn. We catch 5000-7000 a year.
See www.camoriverguideservice.com
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 11:01 PM

I'm not old enough to own a pontoon yet. bolt
Posted By: Davedave

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
I'm not old enough to own a pontoon yet. bolt

I'm starting to think I'm too old to fish at all.

Dumped the boat in the water and tied it up to the dock. Started changing out bunk boards. Started raining. Couldn't stop. Can't drag the boat back with 1/2 the bunk boards. Finish up. (I have a deep Vee and crawl from the front down to the trailer when I'm by myself.). Boat was soaking wet. Slipped. Banged shin. Cussed. Cussed some more.

I have been thinking about "old man" steps on the trailer. Guess I will order some to use until I move on to the pontoon.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/18/17 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Just call me.

Ernest
214-202-7866

Bingo, some people make things harder than they need to be. I have less trouble loading & unloading my 24' Toon by myself than I did an 18' Ranger bass boat.

+1 A pontoon boat is not difficult to launch or load at all. I do it myself at least once or twice a week, and I've only had to take a second run at the trailer a couple times. I would say it trailers more like a brick than a bass boat though. LOL. As far as not being able to stay over a brushpile in a 15mph wind... My 24v Terrova holds like a rock. I've fished over a brushpile in 25mph wind. It was not fun but it was doable. In my experience, the stronger the wind, the better it holds. In the last 12 months I've fished 120+ days from my toon, my only complaint is that I wish it was faster. Mine is a 22' Berkshire with a Honda 150 and it will do low 30's. But an extra hundred horsepower would sure be nice. cheers
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/19/17 12:19 AM

Those steps are nice Davedave!! I will have em soon enough!
Posted By: Robert lv Jones

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/19/17 02:20 AM

I think a pontoon better.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/21/17 12:17 AM

If you are asking which one, then I would suggest fishing with someone who fishes from each type, who has fish from all types. They will be glad to share their experience with you. Catfishing, personally not a boat with carpet. I loved my pontoon with a group but 3 or less bass boat for me. I fished stump fields in pontoon as easy as a bass boat. All day comfort, a pontoon excels.

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/21/17 03:35 PM

I want to Thank Each of you for your response. I have two months before i want to pull the trigger. The suggestion of testing each will be a good idea. I have owned A inboard/outboard before but it was used and more problems than fun. I hoping the next boat will be a New boat and what I want.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: PONTOON OR BASS BOAT - 08/21/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirjet
I want to Thank Each of you for your response. I have two months before i want to pull the trigger. The suggestion of testing each will be a good idea. I have owned A inboard/outboard before but it was used and more problems than fun. I hoping the next boat will be a New boat and what I want.
If I was going to fish one lake I would get a pontoon and keep it @ that lake unless I had enough property of my own to store it. I like to fish different lakes and prefer the ease of towing something smaller than a Pontoon down the HWY.Having said that,Which ever one you choose Sirjet, has it`s Pro`s & con`s you just have to decide which one you & Mrs Jet want to live with. 2cents
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum